Can a beehive stand next to an ornamental pond?

• 29 Replies

gardgydja

• Experienced Member
Re: Can a beehive stand next to an ornamental pond?
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2010, 12:12 »
You´d have no luck hiding from bees or politicians in our pond; it´s really a glorified puddle :lol:
Ah well, they will never take my frogs away from me at least

8doubles

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2010, 12:20 »

I'm sorry too, but peoples phobias are their own concern. Trying to bend other peoples' will to your own because of your own irrational fear is just as, if not even more, thoughtless.
Besides, I do have a phobia about rotten politicians like Gordon Brown. Although to be fair, I don't advocate doing away with the political system as a result. :)

Hives do need to bee where they are not disturbed , if anything riles them they will take action against the nearest target. A bash with a wheelbarrow would cause problems for someone.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2010, 12:21 »
A fear of bees (apiphobia) is very real to those people who have it and therefor the allotment authorities do need to address this. Long gone are the days when we can all do just what we want to.
However a dislike of poor polititions does not figure in the list of phobias (unless my eyes missed it) so I suggest that if you have real phobic feelings you get yourself down to the doctors (who knows if it is a geuine phobia they may name it after you - perhaps Nigophobia  ;)).
I have a fear of wasps, spiders and heights although none of these are phobias at the moment just a fear but could turn into a phobia.

Here is a link for a list of phobias just in case you are interested and at the moment nigophobia isn't on that list yet  :lol:

http://phobialist.com/#P-  
Staffies are softer than you think.

NigelB

• Experienced Member
    • Pictures from the garden and greenhouse..
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2010, 12:23 »
You´d have no luck hiding from bees or politicians in our pond; it´s really a glorified puddle :lol:

Frogs rock! ;)

Out of interest, have you looked at the law relating to Swedish allotments? Here in the UK we have a legal right to keep bees as well as rabbits and hens.
Maybe the folks at  The Swedish Federation of Leisure Gardening can help?
Good luck with it anyway, and don't give up on the idea until you are absolutely sure it is impossible.... ;)

NigelB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2010, 12:34 »
A fear of bees (apiphobia) is very real to those people who have it and therefor the allotment authorities do need to address this. Long gone are the days when we can all do just what we want to.
However a dislike of poor polititions does not figure in the list of phobias (unless my eyes missed it) so I suggest that if you have real phobic feelings you get yourself down to the doctors (who knows if it is a geuine phobia they may name it after you - perhaps Nigophobia  ;)).
I have a fear of wasps, spiders and heights although none of these are phobias at the moment just a fear but could turn into a phobia.

Here is a link for a list of phobias just in case you are interested and at the moment nigophobia isn't on that list yet  :lol:

http://phobialist.com/#P-  

Ok. :)
My last words on the subject of bee phobia .....

It seems to me that someone with a real phobia about bees really shouldn't be out all day on an allotment, of all places.
To try to change the way others use their allotments or how they use their own land because of what is an irrational fear, is patently absurd.
Where would it end? Banning flowers? Removing pollen from any and all plants that may attract them?
Come on Joyfull, be realistic. As long as the hive/s are kept somewhere no-one can accidentally find themselves standing next to them, there should be no problem at all.
Besides, bees travel miles to find pollen, you simply can't expect to insist they don't visit you.

And Nigophobia? Naah, Thievinggitaphobia? Possibly. ;)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2010, 13:14 »
I think Joyfull was just giving us a bit of interesting information rather than commenting about bees on allotments Nigel.  It is a fact that many allotment authorities prohibit the keeping of bees on allotments.  :)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 13:15 by Aunt Sally »

Paul Plots

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2010, 17:36 »

Frogs rock! ;)

Out of interest, have you looked at the law relating to Swedish allotments? Here in the UK we have a legal right to keep bees as well as rabbits and hens.
Maybe the folks at  The Swedish Federation of Leisure Gardening can help?
Good luck with it anyway, and don't give up on the idea until you are absolutely sure it is impossible.... ;)

I didn't know there was a right enabling people to keep bees in the UK (not shocked though). I guess there must be local bi-laws in place as well as allotment society restrictions.

On our site someone asked for permission to keep bees - there was an extra meeting to discuss the request. I missed it (surprise) so await the outcome.

I have bees (well one so far spotted - a humble bumble) hiding under / in my compost heap - excellent!!  :)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2010, 17:42 »
Here in the UK we have a legal right to keep bees as well as rabbits and hens.

I don't think we have a right to keep bees on an allotment Nigel.  We can keep hens and Rabbits as of right.

Could you give me a reference in allotment law for keeping bees please.  It would be useful to me.

Paul Plots

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2010, 17:45 »
Here in the UK we have a legal right to keep bees as well as rabbits and hens.

I don't think we have a right to keep bees on an allotment Nigel.  We can keep hens and Rabbits as of right.

Could you give me a reference in allotment law for keeping bees please.  It would be useful to me.

I wondered about bees as a right...  ???

We are not allowed any live stock at all on ours.... wish someone would tell the foxes now the rats have got the message!  ::)

Digger Tom

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2010, 17:54 »
Are you permitted to keep bees on your allotment gardgydja ?

Check your tenancy agreement and with the Council.  Most councils require you to go on a bee course and put a 6ft fence in front of the hive to force the bees upwards to avoid anoyance to other plotters.

Good point, I have searched & here is my councils rules on bee's. actualy quite a comprehensive document.

http://www.harlow.gov.uk/pdf/Guidelines%20for%20Keeping%20Bees%20on%20Allotments%20Appendix%204.pdf

I am seriously considering keeping the lil fellas.

I generaly just stick things in the ground green side up.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2010, 17:55 »
I've just looked it up on the NSALG site and bees are not allowed  as of right.

This is an extract from their very good fact sheet

http://www.nsalg.org.uk/uploads/article459/Bees%20on%20Allotment%20Sites.pdf

There is a principle of the UK Constitution to the effect that when interpreting or construing a Statute, the Statute must be read as a whole. Section 28 subsection (1) Small Holdings and Allotments Act 1908 confers powers on Municipal authorities to make rules “ . . . as appear to be necessary or proper for regulating the letting of allotments under this Act... "

S. 28 (1) might be used by a Municipal authority to prohibit the keeping of bees, since the only creatures which can be kept and housed on an allotment plot as of right, are domestic chickens, and/or rabbits, pursuant to the provisions of section 12 Allotments Act 1950.
Should a gardener receive the consent of the Municipal authority to keep bees on a plot – and this must not be taken for granted – then it is thought that the following procedures must be adhered to ; and the first two before bees are brought on to a site.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 17:58 by Aunt Sally »

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2010, 17:57 »
Some very comprehensive information from your council there Digger Tom :)

Paul Plots

« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2010, 18:04 »
Some very comprehensive information from your council there Digger Tom :)

I agree - compact / concise and very informative - thanks  ;)

gardgydja

• Experienced Member
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2010, 08:04 »
NigelB the link you posted is for a type of garden they call a "koloni", which means you have a little house on the property, and usually you own the bit of land it stands on. A summer cottage, if you will. They have running water but only April-Oct and there is usually only a dry toilet as they are not plumbed to communal waste and water mains. I would imagine you have many more freedoms if you have one of those gardens.

What I have is an "odlingslot", a "growing plot". No buildings allowed, no animals or poultry or bees, and you are strictly forbidden to sleep there at night in a tent (we asked about that last year as we wanted the kids to see our local hedgehog haha!).

Here is a link to Malmö city´s site for allotments, you could google translate it if you all want a laugh
http://www.malmo.se/Medborgare/Idrott--fritid/Natur--friluftsliv/Kolonier/Odlingslotter.html

Here´s what we´re allowed
 http://www.malmo.se/Medborgare/Idrott--fritid/Natur--friluftsliv/Kolonier/Odlingslotter/pagefiles/Skotselrad-A4.pdf

Here´s a map of all the city´s allotments
http://www.malmo.se/Medborgare/Idrott--fritid/Natur--friluftsliv/Kolonier/Odlingslotter/pagefiles/karta-odlingslotter.pdf

and here´s mine, Mossagarden. I have plot 123 and half of 121.
http://www.malmo.se/Medborgare/Idrott--fritid/Natur--friluftsliv/Kolonier/Odlingslotter/Mossagarden/pagefiles/Mossagarden.pdf

NigelB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2010, 14:46 »
I've just looked it up on the NSALG site and bees are not allowed  as of right.

This is an extract from their very good fact sheet

http://www.nsalg.org.uk/uploads/article459/Bees%20on%20Allotment%20Sites.pdf

There is a principle of the UK Constitution to the effect that when interpreting or construing a Statute, the Statute must be read as a whole. Section 28 subsection (1) Small Holdings and Allotments Act 1908 confers powers on Municipal authorities to make rules “ . . . as appear to be necessary or proper for regulating the letting of allotments under this Act... "

S. 28 (1) might be used by a Municipal authority to prohibit the keeping of bees, since the only creatures which can be kept and housed on an allotment plot as of right, are domestic chickens, and/or rabbits, pursuant to the provisions of section 12 Allotments Act 1950.
Should a gardener receive the consent of the Municipal authority to keep bees on a plot – and this must not be taken for granted – then it is thought that the following procedures must be adhered to ; and the first two before bees are brought on to a site.

Ah. Right. Thanks for that. And I apologise for giving out the wrong information.
The word 'might', it seems, is mightier than the right to bee.

xx
D.I.Y. beehive and beekeeping.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Pets without Feathers

3 Replies
Last post April 23, 2012, 21:00
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
Beehive in other people's gardens...

Started by poultrygeist on Pets without Feathers

7 Replies
Last post August 10, 2009, 19:05
by poultrygeist
xx
Advice re Dadant Beehive offer

Started by Carrotcake on Pets without Feathers

9 Replies
Last post April 17, 2010, 07:21
by Carrotcake
xx
How to look after a koi pond?

Started by nuzuki on Pets without Feathers

3 Replies
Last post May 26, 2012, 21:28
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 35 queries.