Should I...

• 9 Replies

BestBreast

• Experienced Member
  • Chhhhiiiiiiickens.......
Should I...
« on: January 25, 2010, 02:42 »
I'm wondering whether I should keep rabbits for meat.

I have never kept rabbits before but have my hens so prepared for some more graft but I'm just not sure.

I have always wanted a pet rabbit as a child but never had the opportunity. Now my boy who will be 5 in the summer is asking for a rabbit.

I have room but am concerned about the rabbit;s welfare if they are in a hutch outside. I would be willing to use a shed but not so sure I can run elec to it. So the housing is a big concern and making a run rabbit proof esp as I know how well they can burrow feels almost impossible or too expensive. I would like to point out I would not be able to bring the rabbits into my home due to my son's allergies he is ok with rabbits but we are not supposed to have pets within our home.

The next issue I have is being concerned about cost esp if its a larger rabbit (which would be better for meat), vets fees and so on. If I did bread would one buck and one doe be ok or would two doe's be better. I do feel out of my depth and have tried looking up some info our this forum and elsewhere but I have not found conclusive info, I was hoping someone with experience could offer some pearls of wisdom.

My son understands the cycle of eating meat but I'm not sure if it's a good idea overall. I have talked to him and explained it would only be the babies that would be slaughted once fully grown but would you do this with a young child?

Finally, can anyone offer advice how this compares to breeding chickens for meat as this would be another option and just to have a pet rabbit. I would love to have a pig but not so sure it would be welcomed by all and is not really possible.

Regards

Diane

« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 02:54 by BestBreast »

too many girls

Re: Should I...
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 14:58 »
er i wouldn't, get a pet rabbit by all means, but if someone fed me my pet rabbits babies when i was 5 it may well have put me off meat for life, i didn't eat lamb for years as a child because every time we had lamb my brothers told me is was our pet lamb Maggies sister, :mad: they would eat it for me so my parents would never know ::)  only you know whats best for your child though :)

Rubellite

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 15:04 »
I still baulk at the thought of eating rabbit after being fed rabbit and told it was chicken as a child. I had said I didn't want to eat rabbit as I had pet rabbits  :(
Depends how sensitive your lad is and how attached to his pet(s) he becomes.......

too many girls

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 15:46 »

I still baulk at the thought of eating rabbit after being fed rabbit and told it was chicken as a child. I had said I didn't want to eat rabbit as I had pet rabbits  :(

my mum tried that trick, when i was told after i had eaten the chicken that it was in fact rabbit (but you liked it when you thought it was chicken) i was sick all over the table :D
i have never knowingly eaten rabbit since :)
nor have i eaten tinned spaghetti bolognaise after my brothers told me it was worms and the brown bits were in fact soil :lol: they got to eat that too ;)

Rubellite

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 16:18 »
Shall we have a "who was the most sensitive child compo"  :lol: :lol: :lol:
I still don't like rabbit but have toughened up enough to feed it to the dogs  :blink:
Actually, I don't like meat much - prefer fish  ;)

dizzylizzie

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 18:28 »
Hi, First of all , you say your little 4 and a half yr old id asking for a rabbit, and you may want to eat it! :unsure:....i agree with TMG, its got to be either a pet, or food..By all means, keep rabbits for meat, but i would think it would be better to seperate them in his mind, especially given his young age.
As regards rabbit proofing a run, its not hard, just use weldmesh, and watch out for tunnels. If they look like they are burrowing, put mesh on the base of the run also. As regards electric running to the shed...im not sure why you would need electric ?, and there is no welfare concern with rabbits kept outside, except in the coldest of weathers. As long as the rabbit is in a warm, leakproof cage with shelter and somewhere free of draughts to sleep, and it should be fine. A large wooden hutch with a bedding box will be very easy to bulid (or buy). There really is lots of info out there, have you been to the library?
Also, be very careful with your sons allergies. Inside or outside, Rabbit fur is very fine and gets everywhere (up your nose etc), and if you couldnt pet them because of the fur, you would have one very unhappy bunny! :)

BestBreast

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 19:52 »
Fair comments. I think I will give eating rabbits a miss. He is very grown up but I don't want to risk a emotional disaster and didn't think about the possibility of turning him off meat with his limited diet due to allergies that would be really bad for us as a family as he is not so keen on red meat and prefers fish and vegies.

He may be lucky and get a pet rabbit but we will see how he feels in a few months time.

Thanks

Diane

dizzylizzie

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010, 20:01 »
dont worry, fish and veggies are a fab diet for a little one to have...far better than most little tots :D
If you you decide to get a pet rabbit...look in a rescue centre first, there are lots needing new homes there ;)

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2010, 21:30 »
Rabbits worm away into your heart like ducks do - I used to love rabbit and duck and now can't eat either (in fact I have a whole rabbit in the freezer and I just can't face cooking him - note the him not it  ::) ). I'm amazed I still eat chicken - somehow in my mind I have managed to keep them as not pets but livestock despite having had them longer than the rabbits and ducks  ???

I agree that a pet rabbit would be a better starting point - and then you also get to learn about the level of care they need. My two does aren't expensive to keep and they are house bunnies in the winter and get patio time in a run in the summer months (the chickens and ducks have the main garden). With his allergies perhaps a short haired lop would be a good starting point. Although rabbits can live on their own and be happy they are usually happier in pairs especially if you can't spend a good bit of time with the each day as they keep each other company :)

BestBreast

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2010, 22:33 »
I would have the time now but two would be the best idea as I may not always have so much time and with them living around 10years it has to be the animals welfare that I consider first. I don't suppose two would be much more work than one anyway.

I think going fishing for my meat may still be my only option but atasty and varied one. At least I know my boy won't be bothered about catching and eating a fish. Every time we go passed a fish counter we have to have a look and he loves preparing the fish for eating! I'll never forget the time he had taken the fish into the house and then came back out holding the fish in his hands saying "I've given it a good wash and have a board ready to chop off its head!"

Perhaps it's just me trying to justify having a pet as I love my hens but feel they are only viable as they feed us in turn.

As for bread I really have no idea I know a lot sell lionheads or mini lops but not sure these are the best choice for us. It would be nice to keep my options open so if I decide to rear for meat I could but I do take the point on board about crossing livestock and pets.

I was looking into rescue centre's this morning does anyone have any experince with any local ones. I had thought if i could get a rabbit a few years old and happy with children then this would be preferred.

Diane

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 35 queries.