Does a lunge line actually work with a dog...?

• 15 Replies

Growster...

Does a lunge line actually work with a dog...?
« on: March 03, 2022, 17:35 »
'New dog' Lily, is still under a year old, and while we can get her to 'sit', and usually ''here', we're trying to understand how a lunge line works to try and get her a few GCSE's in behaviour.

When I take Lily out for walks, she has a long Flexi retractable lead, and that really is necessary as she wants to explore, and also I'd like to keep my arms somewhere near their sockets, but the charity from whence she came don't like them for some reason!

We used to walk JRT with a Flexi for fifteen years, and never had a problem, so I don't understand why there might be a case for not using these great leads!

Does anyone have an idea why they aren't a great way to keep a dog under control?

wighty

Re: Does a lunge line actually work with a dog...?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2022, 17:48 »
I've only really worked with lunge lines and horses :D but see people walk past our house with dogs on a very long lead and saw one run out into the road when it saw a cat.  I've had Boxers in the past and only ever had 'normal' length leads, would never have entertained the idea of using those retractable leads that people have now.

Lardman

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2022, 18:38 »
I tried using one with Max, we didn't get on with it and I bought a long "Flexi" brand Giant dog retractable one clipped to a chest harness.   It's mainly for stopping him running into the road as the park isn't enclosed, neither that or the lunge line gives me full control of him like a short lead on his collar does.

Are you using a harness or collar ? Retractables on a collar are a bad idea due to the jolt when the break is used or the lead runs out.

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2022, 08:28 »
Thanks both!

It appears that the lunge line is used when actually training a dog (and a horse), but not the best for the actual walks.

I use an 8m Flexi on the end of her normal lead, so that I can draw her in when traffic passes, but that wouldn't work with a tangled line IMHO. We did that with JRT and never had a problem so I'll wait a little longer before the training gets going in ernest. I've just been talking to chums who say that their field and their dogs may well be a starting point for proper traing off the leash, so we're on our way - I hope!

wighty

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2022, 18:15 »
My 'dog' boxer (also had a bitch) would not 'come' when recalled, I happened to have the lunge whip in my hand and 'cracked' it a couple of feet away!  I never had a problem after that. 

snowdrops

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2022, 19:38 »
I’m not casting aspersions to anyone on here, but those long leads drive me bonkers or at least the human on the end of them does! Why let your dog out on an unending piece of rope in the street so it can leg up other pedestrians!
As a teenager I trained a couple of our dogs, and geese long lines weren’t in existence I don’t think, but my dog trainer wouldn’t have allowed them I’m sure. In my opinion a dog needs to stay on a short leash next to your ankle bone until allowed to be let off in a wide open space when they are able to come to call. I can see the point of them then so that you still have ‘hold’ when they go off for a run until you call them back.
Good luck Mr G, I’m sure Lilly will soon realise what side her bread is buttered on & shellnot be wanting you out of her sight
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Growster...

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2022, 06:19 »
The Flexi lead does let Lily get ahead for most of the time, which is what dogs do, and one trick I learned was, that when she starts to pull, then face the opposite way, and make her realise that she's not out front any more.

It works sometimes, and together with a stern 'Wait' at road sides etc., we're getting there!

(10,000 steps on the Fitbit is the norm these days, and many more by the end of the day - I'm glad I bought those bathroom scales too - blimey, the Festive season is still dropping off by the day;0)

grinling

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2022, 14:48 »
retractable leads can be problematic if other people are around or cyclists. I use Cookie on a retractable as she loves to chase things, but have it locked when next to a road or spot another dog/person etc. I also have a lunge line so she can run further away, but it can get tangled around her legs.
I have Cooke walk to heel or side depending on other dogs, road etc and have treats in my hand to distract her with lots of leave it, heel commands. I also do stay and heel commands to get her focused on me and vary a walk.
Do walk to heel, with treats,every day, but allow her to sniff from time to time.

Agatha

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2022, 12:38 »
The problem with retractable leads is that when they are moving freely in & out of the handle, they constantly exert a slight pressure on the collar.  So the dog is 'pulling' on the lead all the time, which means its very hard to stop it pulling when you walk it on a conventional lead.  That's why many dog trainers don't like them, because they encourage bad habits.
'The love of gardening is a seed that once sown never dies, but always grows and grows to an enduring and ever-increasing source of happiness.'  Gertrude Jekyll

Growster...

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2022, 06:25 »
I guess the lunge line is hopeless for walks on a road, and yes, a retractable does exert a little pressure, but as well as that, I still need her to stop straining, even when the lead is at its extremity.

She's getting much better at crossing the road now though, and during her three walks in the day, the second and third ones are much more relaxed too!

grinling

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2022, 15:49 »
Cookie will excitedly strain on the retractable I use when approaching my neighbours house a few doors up.I stop walking and call heel and leave it. When she is back at heel I give her a reward. I can do that that several times, 1 pace at a time, some days. Other days she doesn't pull. I live in a cul de sac in a little village, but when I follow the main road on that walk, she is on a soft lead, which is kinder to my hands.
I went to obedience classes with her and I was trained well.
I use a retractable so Cookie can venture away from me without chasing the wildlife.

KalisDad

• Adopt. Dont Shop
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2022, 17:59 »
I bought a 50ft lead for our Kali as she runs away when frightened, I stay near an airport and they let bangers of to clear birds from the runways. She still walks at my side when using it in parks so a waste of money. the flexi lead we use for her walks but we are always careful about others and will shorten if we see anyone coming towards us or if we are on pavements. works well with front leader harness
Dad of a beautiful Cyrpus rescue called Kali (she's in the picture), A dog from my favourite place, what a dream

grinling

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2022, 19:47 »
try throwing a favourite toy or ball so she can run to fetch it,with a reward when she returns.
I also do touch the pot, so pot/object placed distance away and stare at it. Cookie trots up to it, touches it, I say good and she comes back for a reward.

Growster...

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2022, 06:01 »
All good tips here - thank you all!

She's really quietening down now, and rarely pulls much except when she sees her chums in one of the lanes!

She's good at coming back for a treat too, so after these eight weeks, we're getting on incredibly well; she's a gorgeous girl!

cc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2023, 23:16 »
Some obedience training is a good start.
Stick at it. All dogs will grasp it eventually.
My dog is on a lead in town.
The rest of the time she is never on a lead including walk along the road. If a car comes she simply gets into the side and sits down.
I stuck at the obedience until she worked out I wasn't going to give in!!

xx
On line pet medication

Started by Tenhens on Pets without Feathers

2 Replies
Last post October 10, 2016, 05:54
by LILLILEAF
xx
Where to buy dog wormer on line

Started by Oliveview on Pets without Feathers

7 Replies
Last post October 02, 2012, 14:07
by Thrift
xx
Hey! Frontline Doesn't Work!

Started by LittleRedHen on Pets without Feathers

18 Replies
Last post June 09, 2012, 22:49
by wilbzfishing
xx
I've forgotten how hard work puppies are !! !

Started by sarajane on Pets without Feathers

14 Replies
Last post January 16, 2013, 22:38
by Dawnuss

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 50 queries.