seeper hose design help

• 6 Replies

dmg

seeper hose design help
« on: June 13, 2015, 00:37 »
I had the intention of using a large blue barrel set up with a soaker hose to water my squashes.
I have put the barrel onto 4 slabs which gives it just over 1ft in height and then ran a hose down one side of the plot and back up, like a large U. The overall length of the pipe is about 25-30ft. I was using a normal hose to test it but the pressure was very weak.
What sort of height should I be looking to achieve and will there be enough pressure to reach all the holes?
Would I be better setting it up in a zigzag pattern? for that I would probably only need about 15ft of hose

Thanks,
Dmg

cadalot

Re: seeper hose design help
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2015, 08:08 »
That's a real suck it and see kind of thing, yes greater head of pressure will help but it really depends on how quickly the water is released by the system - you are going to get a loss of pressure the further way from the source you are, so the shorter the run the better.

I was thinking of setting up a similar system for my grapes and beans that run along the wall on the boundary of my plot. I also considered a set up which was soaker hoses in the beds and normal hoses in between. so I didn't water paths and it retains pressure by reducing loss, but cost more for ends and connectors. I worked it all out priced it then scrapped the idea. 

In the end I use pop bottles with pin holes all around the tops put in the ground upside down with the bottoms cut off and water at depth by filling them up with hose.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2015, 08:27 »
I now have a hose from a barrel to water the greenhouse, when trialling it found that seeper hose needed mains pressure to work.

Pipe with drippers does work though, with the barrel raised up 15ins. - the higher the better for pressure.
You may find that adding a double tap fitting the 2 pipes may give better pressure over a shorter distance, than the length of run you are trying now, or use 2 barrels?

Elm street

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2015, 08:59 »
I have a similar set up to MOS in my greenhouse, 16mm main hose and 6mm feeder hoses.
Each feeder hose is the same length, 450mm, this gives 1.25Ltrs of water in 10 mins.
I use a battery operated timer, cheap on eBay, set for 10 mins twice a day for my tomatoes.
I have three 200 Ltr blue barrels collecting water from the shed roof, one 220 Ltr barrel doing the same for the greenhouse and a slimline barrel in the greenhouse all connected together to give me over 900 Ltrs of storage with the final barrel a warming tank to stop the plants being cold water shocked when watered!

Some may say it's over the top but I only get to the plot a couple of times a week due to work and other commitments and this stops my plants dying on me in the heat.

Mel

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2015, 14:53 »
I've got 2 seeper hoses (okay, from poundland) and they are attached to a 2 gallon bucket which is nearly 6ft off the ground.  Still not enough pressure.  However, when I had some of the same a couple of years ago in the polytunnel, attached to the garden hose they worked fine.  They also worked reasonably well, thinking back now, when they were attached to our IBC tank, which although only 3ft off the ground, had the pressure of 250 gallons of water behind it.  I think they re 250 gallons! LOL)

« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 15:05 by GrannieAnnie »

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2015, 19:06 »

Fit a 'TEE' fixing to the tap and then each end of the soaker to each exit.  That way the feed should even itself out.  I can only hope you can see the idea? ? ?

Cheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Snoop

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2015, 09:08 »
I once tried 5-metre seeper hose fed from a 250-litre barrel. I didn't find it terribly useful, as insufficient water was supplied.

xx
Design for a garden hose hanger.

Started by Goosegirl on Design and Construction

10 Replies
Last post July 06, 2015, 15:29
by Goosegirl
question
IBC water butt and hose

Started by Emma Downey on Design and Construction

4 Replies
Last post June 12, 2020, 17:51
by Mr Dog
xx
Home made hose pipe irrigation system

Started by technobob on Design and Construction

11 Replies
Last post April 06, 2007, 22:36
by Aunt Sally
xx
wormery design?

Started by Zak the Rabbit on Design and Construction

9 Replies
Last post March 30, 2007, 21:46
by jackiestagg

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 36 queries.