Money saving ideas for the plot

• 71 Replies

Taff the Welder

Re: Money saving ideas for the plot
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2013, 16:47 »
IF you can find an old empty wine bottle, tear an old newspaper into strips, soak and wrap around the base of the bottle.  Squeeze off as much water as possible, easy the papier-mâch off the bottle and let it dry – bio degradable 3” pots.
Use an aerosol can for 1.1/2” tubes. 

BussinSpain

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2013, 17:13 »
I use empty 5 ltr wine containers or water containers to make mini greenhouses.  Lay the bottle on it's side, cut off the top-side leaving the "neck" attached, attach a couple of clothes pegs to the sides and just pop the lid (the bit you have just cut off) back on.  Ideal for so many seeds.  Egg boxes - the cardboard ones with the plastic top can be used for station sowing small seeds before cutting the sections out and planting the whole thing.  Ideal for lettuces, beetroot, etc.,
Now what shall I do today?

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2013, 19:12 »
I have two middle sized plastic dustbins with clip on lids that I got in a charity shop for pence. They live in the garage and one has rice in it, one has our bags of flour in it. Mouse proof too and keeps things dry and cool  :D

Those infamous take away lidded food containers already mentioned are just right for freezing enough tomato sauce for two of us for pasta or curry sauces bases, plus they stack really well in the freezer drawer too.

Wooden clothes pegs that have given up the ghost make very long lasting plant labels, as do wooden lolly sticks and those things I think are called tongue depressors.

Off cuts of inch square timber painted white make excellent labels at the plot for potatoes, as they don't get lost when you earth up.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 19:15 by sunshineband »
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2013, 19:30 »
Local Indian/Chinese throws out 30L size buckets that used to hold curry powder useful for lots of things - I'm growing early spuds in them this year  ;)

Cut 4pint pastic milk bottles in half and make holes in the bottom, for pots.  9 of them site nicely in the blue mesh mushroom boxes(also from the chinese  :D )

LilacSandy

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2013, 19:36 »
Comfrey and Nettles for free fertilizer.  Pallets for compost bins. Old plastic greenhouse poles fit together to make a frame for covering seedlings.

ConfusedGardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2013, 23:28 »
I'm a big fan of flexi-tubs, especially the 42 ltr ones. Not free, but they can be found for £3 or less (check Tesco direct website), and they have many uses in the garden. They make great pots for large plants like tomatoes if you make a few holes in the bottom, and you can drag them around when they are full of soil without fear of breaking them.

We just moved into a new house, and the land is full of stones, iron and general rubbish, so I bought about 15 of them to use for putting all the rubbish that is coming out of the ground in as well as for large plant containers.

Pound Land do 15 ltr (or round abouts) storage boxes w/lid that would also make great planters, and can be used to store boxes of bonemeal etc. to keep them from getting damp.

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2013, 19:20 »
plastic mushroom trays from catering establishments turn upside down to protect from pigeons
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

snow white

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2013, 09:23 »
I am queen or recycling;
Meat trays make good propagators, one on the bottom and one placed on the top.  Good for chitting sweetcorn in. Also great to put pots in when potting on.  Good for picking and storing fruit.
Toilet rolls are good seed pots and root trainers.
2ltr bottles make good cloches in winter/spring then turn upside down for directional watering in summer.  Hang a bottle up in your shed and keep plastic bags in them, just scrunch bag and insert. Insert a nipple into the lid for a chicken drinker.
Newspaper is good mulching material as long as it is weighted down with compost or grass clippings. 
Old pallets make good compost bins.  Broken down the uses for the wood is endless.  Pathed my Lottie with them and built a fruit cage.  Made a lovely staging area for my poly tunnel.
Milk cartons - cut the bottom off for a plant pot and use the rest cut up as labels.
Old tent poles - great netting support

People think I've spent a fortune on my Lottie!  Then see all my recycled stuff.  Every time I go to throw something out I try to think of a use for it.  Everyone now asks me if I want xyz!

Helen

Taff the Welder

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2013, 21:34 »
Possibly the wrong place to ask, but is newspaper printers ink now bio-degradable?  :unsure:

fisher

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2013, 22:33 »
 To make holes in yog pots, to use for seeds, (I use the 500g ones which stack ), heat a skewer (I use gas flame) and when nice and hot, push it thru lots of pot bases at a time!
Fisher :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2013, 08:58 »
Possibly the wrong place to ask, but is newspaper printers ink now bio-degradable?  :unsure:

Yes, it's fine  :)

gypsy

« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2013, 19:28 »
Another use for plastic milk bottles, slice it through at the "shoulders" and you have a funnel.
Catherine

yaxley

« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2013, 23:39 »
Fill plastic milk bottles with earth or shingle they make great weights to hold fleece down with ...
Grow organic as nature intended

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2013, 13:28 »
IF you can find an old empty wine bottle, tear an old newspaper into strips, soak and wrap around the base of the bottle.  Squeeze off as much water as possible, easy the papier-mâch off the bottle and let it dry – bio degradable 3” pots.
Use an aerosol can for 1.1/2” tubes.

This way is so much less hassle Taff! lol

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=11390.0

Auntiemogs

« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2013, 13:31 »
Yes, it's fine  :)
Ooh, does that mean that I can compost Mum and Dad's old newspapers?   :)
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

xx
I'm now saving money

Started by SkipRat on Frugal Living

15 Replies
Last post July 22, 2007, 19:21
by brucesgirl
xx
Money Saving Expert

Started by mikem on Frugal Living

3 Replies
Last post March 28, 2015, 10:00
by mumofstig
xx
Free seeds (almost) and good tips for saving money in the garden...

Started by N.WalesIdealist on Frugal Living

9 Replies
Last post March 31, 2011, 18:51
by kevinp
xx
Meal out Value for Money

Started by allotmentnut on Frugal Living

5 Replies
Last post October 04, 2008, 09:41
by home made pie

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 29 queries.