A difficult flower bed

• 2 Replies

mrs bouquet

A difficult flower bed
« on: July 18, 2019, 12:41 »
I planted the dwarf buddlia in the ground and it is now about 6ft tall.  I trained it as a standard and the trunk is about 24/30 inches high.    It is white with a yellow eye and very prolific flowering.
However,   the soil below and along that bed is so poor and dry,  the ground slopes away at the back.
Over the years I have tried to grow many things, mostly with out success, even before the Buddlia (how do you spell that !)  .
The bed is only about 2.6 inches wide, and I am thinking of clearing it.     So shall I leave the pretty Buddlia ?
I was thinking next year I could underplant all along this bed with either Delsosperma "Desert Jewel", has all the colours.     Or, Mesembryanthemum, I am not sure how hardy these are, I normally think in terms of bedding for the latter.
I am really fed up with it now and wondering what to do for the best.   Even the beautiful white penstemon is curling its toes up.   I shall have to move that.
Your opinions will be much appreciated.   Thanks and regards,  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: A difficult flower bed
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2019, 14:03 »
What about something like Erigeron karvinskianus with pretty pink and white flowers from months on end. It is easy to grow from seed and self seeds itself as well.  It copes with sun and partial shade.

Delosperma are very drought tolerant, but unless they get full sun, the flowers won't open up.  Mesembryanthemum are bedding plants and won't survive the winter.

It might be worth trawling the alpine benches at the garden centre and also looking for some small species tulips as most of them like a summer baking to perform at their best.  Saffron crocus would probably do OK as well.

mrs bouquet

Re: A difficult flower bed
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2019, 19:07 »
Thanks for your reply.  I have just looked them up.  Pretty, but quite expensive.   Annoyingly I nearly bought some at an NGS garden day.  they were £1.00 per pot  ::)
Do you think I could also plant some Delsosperma mixed in with them ?   regards  Mrs Bouquey

xx
Difficult caulis

Started by Consolsbob on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post July 18, 2007, 08:42
by Consolsbob
xx
plant suggestions for a difficult position please

Started by mumofstig on General Gardening

9 Replies
Last post May 03, 2009, 20:22
by mumofstig
xx
Slow growing and difficult poached egg plant

Started by hubballi on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post June 17, 2012, 14:59
by hubballi
clip
Flower for ID

Started by mdjlucan on General Gardening

10 Replies
Last post April 25, 2020, 15:19
by mrs bouquet

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 42 queries.