Aubergines....

• 26 Replies

Benandbill

Aubergines....
« on: February 15, 2011, 07:03 »
I put some aubergine seeds in trays last week but I think they're doomed to fail already as I've watered the compost they're in.. DOH! :unsure:  They're indoors and under a carrier bag so maybe there's some hope..

Also, what chance have I got of growing them in South Wales??  I've been told it's virtually zilch.  Should I have waited until I had a greenhouse?   :blush:

Tigerhair

• Experienced Member
Re: Aubergines....
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 07:10 »
I grew them a couple of years ago - in a greenhouse.  Are they indoors? I think you should have some success on a windowsill.  Keep at it!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 08:03 »
Should I have waited until I had a greenhouse?   :blush:

Yes IMO.
I have to grow them in the greenhouse here, although I do put the pots outside if we have some really warm days.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 08:30 »
My packet of seed only mentions growing in a greenhouse.

You'll need a very sheltered, sunny spot to grow them outside.

Bear in mind that if they do germinate, you'll have to be able to keep them indoors for the next 3 -4 months before you dare put them outside.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 09:14 »
The only ones I've grown outside are the small stripy ones, called pinstripe. They were more prolific than the plants in the greenhouse, probably because there were more insects to pollinate. This is North Wales, but not last year! The year before.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 11:52 »
I put some aubergine seeds in trays last week ... They're indoors and under a carrier bag so maybe there's some hope..

They ought to have a clear plastic bag over them so that they get some light, and they need a constant temperature between 18C - 21C to germinate.  (Put them in the airing cupboard if your central heating is off during day or night such that the room temperature will fall below that, but check them twice a day and put them on a windowsill as soon as they show signs of germination)

Carrotcake

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 12:17 »
Last year I sowed mine at the end of Feb and did a second batch at the end of March. The later ones soon caught up with the Feb sowing and they all fruited at about the same time.

I kept them in my polytunnel as struggled with growing them outside the previous year even with our summer temps. Think that might have been lack of TLC though  :blush:

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2011, 12:35 »
I'm following this with great interest!

Seems to me that aubergines are right on the limit of which sun and heat loving plants can be grown in this country (especially living in Sheffield!)

I'm always happy to experiment with new plants but I prefer my experiments to be just on the right side of reckless/pointless!

What would those who have grown them call success? 2 per plant? More?
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

operabunny

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 12:48 »
Aubergines grow happily outside here in Bristol. 'Diamond' from the Real Seed Catalogue are a Ukrainian variety and more suited to our climate than most aubs, so if you haven't got a greenhouse they are well worth a try.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2011, 13:16 »
half a dozen small ones or a couple of big ones if I forget to pinch them out :nowink:
I said last year that I wasn't going to grow them any more, but fell for the write up
 Garden Organic link
(and I have the new greenhouse to fill  :) )
I will be growing them in the soil to see if this makes for stronger plants/better yields  :unsure:

upert

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2011, 14:44 »
I sowed Early Long Purple 2 aubergines a week ago, in the bathroom of all places, covered with a plastic propagator top and they're just starting to show.

The temperature must have fluctuated between 12 to 30 degrees with occasional bouts of high humidity.

They're going in the greenhouse in 6 weeks whatever the weather.

Benandbill

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2011, 19:03 »
Hmm, was thinking of getting a placcy greenhouse anyway so hopefully we'll have toms and aubergines fighting for space.  Thanks for your responses all, I'll keep you posted as to any developments!!   :)

bigben

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2011, 19:21 »

Seems to me that aubergines are right on the limit of which sun and heat loving plants can be grown in this country (especially living in Sheffield!)

I'm always happy to experiment with new plants but I prefer my experiments to be just on the right side of reckless/pointless!

I tried outdoors in Sheffield the year before last and got nothing. This year I have a big cold frame so might try again.

Benandbill

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2011, 06:47 »
Okay, I've seen affordable 4 tiered plastic greenhouses, about the rigt size you'd think to start off.  Are you a bit restricted by the tiers though if you're growing toms as well?  Anyone know where you can get 3 or maybe 2 tiered ones, maybe 4 ft squared??  The aubs are sprouting already?  :unsure:

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2011, 07:29 »
The shelves are removable in my tiered greenhouse, so you just put the plant lower down and let it grow up through the removed shelf areas.  It's quite useful, as you can use the shelf supports to tie the plant into, so it doesn't fall over.

As ever, make sure the greenhouse is well secured.  Mine has a piece of string round it fairly near the top and tied to a downpipe or gazebo upright - stops it being blown over or moving too far.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 07:30 by Yorkie »
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
Aubergines

Started by sueanthony on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 04, 2010, 13:51
by sueanthony
xx
Aubergines

Started by Casey76 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post September 28, 2009, 20:27
by mumofstig
xx
Aubergines

Started by badger28 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 24, 2012, 21:12
by Stratts
xx
Aubergines - odd or not?

Started by PennyS on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post May 25, 2010, 13:45
by PennyS

Page created in 0.348 seconds with 38 queries.