Aubergines

• 14 Replies

Coldfeet

Aubergines
« on: September 13, 2013, 12:19 »
This is my first year growing aubergines (well first year for anything actually) and they have done really well.  I have had about 8 fruits so far, good size ones too.   There are about another 8 on the plants, from the size of a plum to almost 'supermarket' size.   My question is can I leave them on the plants for now, will they continue to get bigger? Or should I cut them all now?   If I leave them, will they spoil as it is now not very warm?   I would cut them if a frost was likely, but not forecast for this week. 

Thank you for reading - any views welcome. 

Coldfeet

Re: Aubergines
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2013, 20:54 »
Maybe I am the only one with any aubergines to worry about!   ;-)

compostqueen

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 20:57 »
You probably are actually, as if you check out the other thread on this subject, you'll see the lack of success

I have a massive total of two aubs of any size and I was dithering today about whether to cut them.  I think they're ok to keep growing on as we're not getting frost yet, so it would give them a bit more growing time. I take it you are feeding them  :)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2013, 21:06 »
I'm just waiting for my third and probably final aubergine to get a little bigger!  So not doing very well either!

compostqueen

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2013, 21:08 »
I've got two (only two in the whole world, sob) so I'm reluctant to cut them. I'm saving them for a special occasion  :tongue2:

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2013, 21:30 »
I have quite a few but they are small so going to try and give them a little longer.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Coldfeet

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2013, 22:14 »
Thank you all.  Compostqueen, I have been feeding them once a week, but not for the past 2 weeks, just forgot.  Better do that tomorrow!

I feel honoured to have had such a crop at my first attempt.  Lovely aubergine curry tonight. 

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2013, 22:22 »
I've got 3 grafted aub plants and they still have about 8 small ones developing. I've had about 8 already :happy:
I'm going to leave well alone and keep watering and feeding them and see what happens ;) :)

simbamara

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2013, 23:50 »
I have not had much success with aubergines in pots either..about the only vegetable with no success..the plants seem healthy..I am just going to transfer the pots to a shed(not a greenhouse)which allows light in and protects from the cold and wind.Will see  how they progress.

gobs

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2013, 02:07 »
I've have never had much success with aubergines either, I tend to put it down to the weather. However, others, on similar latitude to yours also report failure, could you please say, what variety you grow?

On the other hand, I know this for certain, they do not store well, so try to use them, before frosts come.

And congrats! :lol:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Coldfeet

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2013, 09:33 »
They are Black Beauty, started from seed indoors ( in my conservatory) then outside from end of May.  4 plants in large pots, 4 in the ground.  All get sun most of the day (until this week!). 

compostqueen

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2013, 10:41 »
Mine is Violette.  I've grown Bonica, which did the best, and also not too bad was Diamond. Some of the Italian ones and Spanish varieties have done hardly anything at all, even under glass. 

I love to eat them so I keep trying  :tongue2:  I like to put them in my veg chilli and I think they really enrich the flavour.  Salivating just to contemplate aubergine parmigana or melazanna (sp|?)  :)

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2013, 11:06 »
I'm sticking with grafted ones - can't fault them at all  ;)

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2013, 12:19 »
I have 3 fruits - they're the 'mini' variety. Growing in the greenhouse in a large pot. I don't think they're going to get any bigger, but they still feel rather hard, not sure if they're fully ripe. I've cut off all the tiny developing fruits and flowers, and any other unnecessary bits, to try an encourage ripening before it's too late. They're not exactly a 'value for money' crop, but it's satisfying to grow something like that. I have had success once before, but they produced really peculiar-shaped fruits, with 'projections' like fingers all over them!
Rachael

gobs

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2013, 22:39 »
They are Black Beauty, started from seed indoors ( in my conservatory) then outside from end of May.  4 plants in large pots, 4 in the ground.  All get sun most of the day (until this week!).

Thank you! :D

xx
Aubergines

Started by barbarella on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 19, 2010, 18:21
by oldcow
clip
How are your aubergines doing?

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post August 10, 2017, 18:55
by Willow_Warren
xx
aubergines

Started by smc on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 04, 2011, 17:00
by smc
xx
Aubergines

Started by Wild Pony on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 24, 2010, 23:17
by BigPaddy

Page created in 0.333 seconds with 39 queries.