French beans and runner beans

• 20 Replies

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: French beans and runner beans
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2012, 09:58 »
Oh OK - but I think Salmo does it as well.

Anway, I've just put 84 runners in, in deep seed cat litter trays.

Off to do the pea beans and dwarf purple French beans next, when I can feel my fingers again.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2012, 10:33 »
I have done this for some years now with good results, the only problem I have with runner beans is a poor germination rate, I sow "Butler" but always loose about 30 to 40%    I guess this expected as it says on the packet should provide 35 plants in average growing conditions and there were 54 seeds in the packet, anybody have similar results   :unsure:.

I've always found runner bean seeds to be amongst the most reliable germinators, although storage conditions can make a big difference (including conditions in garden centres before you even buy them - plenty of glass-roofed structures round here, some of which are alternately freezing and oven-hot!  :ohmy:)

If in doubt, chit first and sow carefully at the first sign of a shoot.

I use paper pots and stagger the sowings two weeks apart to try to extend the cropping season (sort of works!) - I just plant half the Munty frame with each batch, aiming for an average of 1 1/2 plants per string (just to be awkward!)  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

MyAchingBack

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2012, 11:55 »
Beans, unlike sweetcorn, don't mind a bit of transplanting. I start mine off at home in deep trays - yes - cat litter trays!

Do you cover the trays with cling film?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2012, 12:02 »
Nope!

fatbelly

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2012, 12:08 »
Last year we had a fantastic April so I got lulled into sowing earlier than I usually do. But May arrived with Hail, near gale force winds and persistent rain which killed all my tender plants. I won't be sowing any French beans, or squashes until the 2nd week of May and I will put them on the plot the 1st week of June.
99% Organic and 1% Slug Pellets.

Allotment holder since 27th May 2007.

Thrift

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2012, 13:19 »
I don't think you can have any set rules, just go by the weather. I have some runners and french beans in pots indoors and will plant out when the weather is suitable ( 5dg today ) and windy and wet, so definitely not!

I shall plant a couple of plants plus a couple of seeds - that way I have more chance if there is wind or cold damage.

xx
French beans, short crop v. runner beans?

Started by woodburner on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post June 10, 2010, 16:02
by crh75
xx
Runner beans and French climbing beans

Started by lovemyveg on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 11, 2011, 12:31
by strangerachael
xx
runner beans or french beans?

Started by rivkele on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 14, 2011, 09:34
by rivkele
xx
runner beans and French beans ?

Started by like diggingk on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post April 22, 2012, 10:56
by lettice

Page created in 0.388 seconds with 39 queries.