When should I plant my garlic?

• 42 Replies

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
When should I plant my garlic?
« on: September 18, 2013, 19:08 »
My garlic bulbs arrived today - early purple wight and Provençal. How do I know when to put them out? My boos give the range sept-Dec and the packaging the bulbs arrived in said as soon as possible upon reciept...

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: When should I plant my garlic?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 19:10 »
Tomorrow?

Anytime soon will enable them to grow decent roots before the soil gets really cold
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 19:15 »
Haha! Ok then, it will be my weekend job. I wasn't sure if putting them out early would be a bad thing down south as the range in books was so big I wondered if it needed to be colder than it is here at the moment

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 19:23 »
No, it is about right and with the extra rain we have had recently the ground will be good to go too  :D

bravemurphy

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 21:18 »
I put a full row of elephant garlic in tonight and the rest will go in over the next few days, weather permitting.

Sparkyrog

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2013, 21:19 »
Haha! Ok then, it will be my weekend job. I wasn't sure if putting them out early would be a bad thing down south as the range in books was so big I wondered if it needed to be colder than it is here at the moment
you are not down south  :lol:
I cook therefore I grow

vanessa.xx

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 23:18 »
Would garlic do well in largish modules in an unheated greenhouse over the winter and then planted out in the spring, I ask this because I planted them out last year and they really suffered with rust and then white rot, I'm just wondering if this would save them from the worst of the weather  I already put some over wintering onions in my greenhouse border

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2013, 06:30 »
you are not down south  :lol:

Not as south as you granted - but only 70 miles from the southern most bit of coast this side of the country so pretty south. Being so close to London we are much warmer than those closer to the coast this time of year as well. We had blackberries 3 weeks before my parents who live on the south coast for example! And everything here crops earlier.

al78

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2013, 08:33 »
I thought garlic was supposed to be planted late October onwards.

http://www.rhs.org.uk/Gardening/Grow-Your-Own/Veg-A-to-Z/Garlic

RHS suggests late Autumn-early Winter.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2013, 08:58 »
Well.................... it certainly feels like early winter here  :dry:

Mine will get planted as soon as they arrive  ;)

goodtogrow

• Experienced Member
  • Less is More
    • stirruphoes
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2013, 10:18 »
Would garlic do well in largish modules in an unheated greenhouse over the winter and then planted out in the spring, I ask this because I planted them out last year and they really suffered with rust and then white rot, I'm just wondering if this would save them from the worst of the weather  I already put some over wintering onions in my greenhouse border

I've suffered in the past the same fate, but not every season.  It depends on how wet the winter is, I suppose, especially on my clay.

Given that garlic is believed to have originated in Central Asia, it may just be that our soils and climate don't really suit it over winter, but it does ok in certain circumstances.

I think it's a good idea to bring them on in modules, and then to transplant them in Spring when conditions are more favourable. 

Best wishes
No-one has a monopoly of knowledge, nor wisdom

Nobbie

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2013, 10:43 »

I don't think it would help much with rust as this usually develops in spring and by leaving them in modules the garlic won't develop as good a root system as they would in the ground. Plus it's a lot more hassle.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2013, 15:40 »
I think it's a good idea to bring them on in modules, and then to transplant them in Spring when conditions are more favourable. 
I believe they need the cold of the winter as that is what causes the individual cloves, which you plant, to "split" to form the clump of new cloves in the bulb that you will harvest. If I've got that right then don't put their modules anywhere too comfy for the Winter!

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2013, 15:48 »
I believe they need the cold of the winter as that is what causes the individual cloves, which you plant, to "split" to form the clump of new cloves in the bulb that you will harvest. If I've got that right then don't put their modules anywhere too comfy for the Winter!
That's what old Joe tells me. Don't plant garlic until the cold so that it settles in the warm earth to set up good roots. If it's planted when warm weather could be, it could start growing its top growth. No good says Joe!!!!!

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2013, 15:49 »
You have indeed got that right, Kristen. Garlic does not need cosy  ;) But planting it now allows it to grow some decent roots before that cold sets in.

A watering in of Sulphate of Potash will help them fight off rust, and another dose around March will do no harm
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 15:50 by sunshineband »

xx
What to plant after garlic

Started by rainie on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 20, 2009, 08:02
by corndolly
xx
When to plant Garlic?

Started by parttimer on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post May 25, 2011, 11:52
by DD.
xx
Can I use my own garlic to plant?

Started by vineweevil1 on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post September 12, 2009, 10:21
by Hampshire Hog
xx
When to plant garlic? UK

Started by Iecabus on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 12, 2019, 07:44
by Iecabus

Page created in 0.43 seconds with 40 queries.