Nematodes - any opinions?

• 8 Replies

ziggy66

Nematodes - any opinions?
« on: June 15, 2010, 21:21 »
Hi all thought that I would check to see if anybody has thoughts on nematodes. I must say that I am quite tempted to buy some but I have a nagging thought as to how successful they will be down the lottie.

My concern is that slugs like to travel, so even if I cover my salad bed, slugs could slime across from a neighbours patch and reek havoc before the nematodes have an effect. Am I being paranoid, slugs have that effect on me! What experience do people have?

Thanks

AndyRVTR

Re: Nematodes - any opinions?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 21:27 »
Hi Ziggy... as far as I remember, once they are applied to your soil, they stay active for 6 weeks or more, so a couple of applications should generally do the job..

Elcie

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 21:31 »
I haven't used them, although I have seen them for sale and they are not cheap, especially if you are covering a large area.  However, if you have a big slug problem then those that have used them might say they are worth it.

bluelou

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 16:37 »
I use them last year and they were great did not have any slugs for 6 weeks and it kills the eggs and babies as well. But i am not using them this year as it worked out to much money for a small garden. I just have to make the effort to go out every night picking them off my plants.

AlotArds

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2010, 01:04 »
I have used them for two years, kills most of the blighters for 5-6 weeks - recommend using if you have a big problem with slugs.
£8 ish is a lot to kill slugs, however you get more crops so it balances out.

Good Luck  :)

Wombat18

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2010, 09:10 »
I used them last year and I was pretty much slug free.  It's expensive, but easy and effective.  I think I put a dent in the numbers but now they are starting to crawl back, so I'll probably give it a couple of applications this year too.

Kagganz

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010, 06:43 »
They are fantastic!

Used them last year, haven't applied any this year but still no slugs!

I wouldn't hesitate to use them again if needed.

swaine

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2010, 17:51 »
A lot of people who have used these say they are effective, but am I the only one who is suspicious that the price might be too high, and is set by what the manufacturers think we are prepared to pay rather than what they actually cost to produce?

£30+ to treat a smallish plot is nice business if you can get it!!!!! or am I getting too cynical in my old age  javascript:replaceText('%20;)',%20document.forms.postmodify.message);

Hows about selling at half the price and selling four times as many?

Rant over  I'll go back to the potting shed and lie down  javascript:replaceText('%20:)',%20document.forms.postmodify.message);

Wombat18

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2010, 21:34 »
I found that an eight quid application was enough to treat my half plot if I spread it about a bit and used it strategically.  It's a bit pricey, but it does take slugs neatly and quickly out of the equation which is more than can be said for any of the other methods I've tried.  If you're not feeling terribly organic, slug pellets around anything that's particularly threatened will probably work almost as well.

xx
Nematodes

Started by steampig on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 27, 2007, 14:59
by ytyynycefn
xx
Nematodes

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post June 10, 2011, 21:44
by Kajazy
xx
nematodes

Started by foxydan on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 18, 2007, 19:46
by John
xx
nematodes

Started by wrinkly1 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post November 16, 2012, 17:35
by wrinkly1

Page created in 0.352 seconds with 38 queries.