Looking for your opinions on my border veg

• 17 Replies

ldavison10

« on: June 03, 2008, 13:44 »
Hi,
Ive photographed nearly all my little garden, its not the neatest of gardens but i do try keeping it in order. the borders are 80% veg. Id like your opinion on the veg, if theres something specific id like you to comment on ill try writing it below the picture

Thanks!

Couple of shots inside the greehnouse. The lower leaves of the courgette are yellowing but the uppers seem okay, is that normal? also i have a little courgette on one, does the flower die off when the courgette on it gets bigger?

This cucumber bother me a bit, looks very droopy and skinny but seems to be producing fruit

My old faithful rhubard. Note the shoe in the picture for size!

Beetroot (look careful!) and cabbage. How big do i leave the cabbage before we eat it?

Marrow - One growing on it - Thank god!

Pumpkin, small and doesnt seem to be growing, one flower has shrivelled. Not happy!

Messiest broad bean patch ever! Been there since time began (or at least last year from seed)

Parsnips (or swedes i get mixed up lol) at the back doing well, sweetcorn and courgettes although im getting mixed up now with whats a courgette looking weed cropping up in my garden. Onions and leeks to the front. Note the wire fences to deter baby, amazing what a little barrier will do to keep the little one off.

My potato patch, 1st year growing them, just need to figure this earthing up task now.

Strawberries, tyme, and some flowers.

You know when you grow a million seedlings and only pick the best 10? Well ive planted the other 999,990 in the clumps you can see on this photo. there are 2 bunches of tomatoes, 1 of cabbage and 1 broccoli. At the right we have broccoli and green beans.

I like this bit, organisation! lettuace, Spinach, Cabbage, many more seedlings, sunflowers, dwarf toms in the mini greenhouse.

Radish, lettuce, cauliflower seedlings and a potato experiment in the bucket!

Sorry for the long post but only my uninterested wife gets to see the garden and all the hard work makes me want some other opinions than 'oh thats nice'. Id love constructive criticism, does something need changing? replanting? fertilising?

Thanks all

Lee

woodburner

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 14:49 »
Nice! :)
I see you've been to Woolie's too ;)
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 14:55 »
Lots of good work there on your limited space.
Courgettes, like many veg, usually shed lower leaves in some manner so don't worry about the yellowing lower leaves. But the pot seems a bit small for the large root system they put out. I'd change to a larger one and you'll get a bigger harvest.  How are the flowers being pollinated? You letting in bees or something?
Same with the cuke. Pot looks too small and too dry, which is why the leaves are drooping. A pot that small needs twice daily watering and with some manure tea added. Irregular watering will give you bitter cukes.
Cabbage should form at least a modest sized head before harvesting, which would be about another month from now. Don't leave them to get huge or they split open.
Pumpkin - again, how is it being pollinated? They're hungry, thirsty plants. I almost wonder if the flower got scorched under the plastic.
Time to earth up the potatoes. Pull soil from around the plants to cover the plant bases at least 2" (5cm) so that emerging potatoes won't get any sun. Bunched in as yours are, you'll have to spread leaves apart to fill in all the gaps. Or, buy a bag of compost or soil and do the job.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 14:55 »
Likewise.

Just a comment about the courgettes & cucumber.

Courgettes do not need to be in the greenhouse & if in pots need a far larger one than the one it's in. This may be the cause of the leaf problem.

The cucumber I think would benefit from a larger pot.

I'd get the red cabbage outside as well, and again, if you have to grow it in a pot, I think it needs a bigger one.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Gardeningguru

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 15:42 »
What excellent use of space!

Earthing up potatoes, is a two fold thing.  Firstly a greater yield,  secondly less green inedible potatoes.  But Tbh even if you dont bother you will still get a crop, albeit a smaller one.  Choice is yours.

Pot sizes yes a little small, but your still getting a few crops going, and if kept well watered and fed, will be fine even in those pots.... I daresay you are using that size to maximize the space available.

Pollination might be an issue, you might want to consider moving some of those plants outside at times to aid this, or certainly leave gh door open.

All in all, looking quite decent!  ive seen wprse looking plants out on peoples allotments!

ldavison10

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 15:44 »
Thanks for the replies, ill change the plants to a bigger pot, got a few of them flower pots from morrisons that will do nicely.
As for pollination, you can tell im new at this! I open the greenhouse occasionally and sometimes a bee gets trapped in there. I dont know how to pollinate the flowers, didnt even know they needed it to bear fruit! GCSE biology was a long time ago!

I put the plastc over the pumpkin after some really heavy winds i suspect caused the flower damage. Even if it only produces 1 fruit ill be happy! I better get the cover off. I think the thing im missing with most of my veg is the interaction with Bees.

I'd put the courgettes outside but last time I did about half the leaves got damaged in the wind and I was gutted. Anyway, ill find a sheltered spot for them, give me some space to look after the melons i just got!

Cheers
Lee

tweeky

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 16:09 »
Beegly.

If you plant your seed spuds under dark fleece or some other suitable material that lets water through like liner stuff, you don't have to earth up. The haulm (think that how you spull it) will grow nicely through it (if you do a cross cut over each seed spud)

But you will still need to dig a trench for them to grow in. I used to line mine with wet newspaper before I chucked the broken down soil back in.

:)

peggyprice

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 16:26 »
I can't offer any constructive criticism 'cause I'm a pretty novice (and not very good  :( ) veggie gardener - but I'm v impressed at your imaginative use of space and no-one's commented on your grapes!  I think they look really impressive  :)

And I'm excited 'cause there's another Sheffielder here  :lol: Which bit are you?  We're at the Norton/Meadowhead end - we're at the top of the hill so we get the benefit ( :!: ) of the wind coming straight off the Peak District to take the edge off the balmy Sheffield microclimate  :?

Nice to see you here  :D
Nobody said this was going to be easy ... but some days are better than others!

ldavison10

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2008, 16:43 »
Im just on the border between sheffield and chesterfield near Eckington. Ive seen a few posts by locals around here and was starting to suspect us Yorkshire folk are taking over this forum.

Lee

peggyprice

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2008, 16:47 »
Quote from: "ldavison10"
Ive seen a few posts by locals around here and was starting to suspect us Yorkshire folk are taking over this forum.

Lee

And that would be a bad thing ... how, exactly? :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  

Might be getting an allotment over in your direction ... we'll have to swap frost warnings  :lol:

matron

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2008, 17:05 »
What a fantastic use of space. It reminds me of Geoff Hamilton's cottage garden which I just got on DVD.
Last year we planted approx 180 potatoes and didn't earth them up (didn't have time) and there were very few green ones and the crop lasted until end of February this year. We have planted more this year and are hoping they will last longer.
If you have a farm near you ask them if you can have the animal feed buckets (the containers the feed comes in) which is what we have used to grow some early potatoes in.   :lol:

weeeed

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2008, 18:20 »
I think your use of space and the variety of plants is very good and not a lot wrong anywhere. However DD always gives good advice and as always is spot on  with his comments. You wont go wrong by potting up feeding etc. The grapes look very good by the way. Good luck. :wink:
I know less today than I did yesterday, and I knew nothing then!

gobs

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2008, 18:40 »
Not just the grape that looks good, so does the pepper/chilli and aubergine, also the cabbage and swede, etc. Excellent job! 8)

I too, would move out everything that could go out, it's warmer now and next week is promised to be excellent for doing so. Hold in mind, that plants will grow still and if overcrowded, deprive each other of light and sun, also more chance of diseases in such environment.

I'd put compost onto the base of your potatoes. :wink:

What sort is the cucumber?
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Big Jen

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2008, 19:53 »
Great :lol:  Must be taking you ages to water them all :?:
There are three signs of old age. The first is your loss of memory, the other two I forget.

kezlou

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2008, 20:01 »
Wow wish my was yard was looking like that! Mine at the moment is still pretty disorganised and i'm crushed for space.

I'm growing cherry-type tomatoes in hanging baskets, i'll let you know how it goes as you might be able to grow some that way as well.
You nicked my idea about the with the tatties in! The leaves are huge in mine like yours. Growbags are excellent leaned up on thier fpr growing tatties in as well.

Nice looking tomato plants!  : :D  Well done mate keep up the good work!  :D
Who needs a guard-dog when you can have cats for guards!

xx
Border edging

Started by boddy on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 31, 2014, 11:59
by brokenglass
xx
Few questions on my border veg.

Started by ldavison10 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 02, 2008, 12:52
by woodburner
xx
Potato patch border

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 17, 2010, 13:44
by shokkyy
xx
Crops for east facing border?

Started by NewbiePotter on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 19, 2010, 07:46
by NewbiePotter

Page created in 0.371 seconds with 38 queries.