Planning for winter vegetables

• 15 Replies

wyandotty

Planning for winter vegetables
« on: July 01, 2009, 09:06 »
I have started to harvest onions and potatoes now which leaves me some space to put winter vegetables in.

I have only ever planted veg during spring and summer so would like some advice on what varieties to grow of brussels, cabbage and cauliflower for the winter.  Also, is it alright to put these plants into ground that something has  just been lifted from and should it be given any feed.

Too many questions I know but I am new to winter veg.

Thanks

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Planning for winter vegetables
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 09:20 »
It's too late to sow brussel sprouts, don't know if they will have plants in the garden centre
I've only just sown winter cabbage MInicole, and Samantha small savoy, Tundra large savoy/white cabbage hybrid a very nice cabbage fully winter hardy if you have the space, and swede Marion still to sow. (Sowing dates savoys...may to July, minicole may to june, swede Mid april to mid july.)If you still have room after that, you can sow cabbage to overwinter to use as spring greens :)
I don't grow cauliflower as i don't have enough room..................someone else will help with that i'm sure :D

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 09:51 »
Are you on a crop rotation plan? My spud bed generally will only grow salads etc once the spuds have been lifted. I personnally prefer to leave two years between spuds and brassicas, the main reason is because I lime the brassica bed every year. You could put your over wintering onions  the spud bedm but again remember what your planting next year as these wont be lifted until June next year. Brassicas are hungry beasts so you may need to add some goodness before you plant it up after the spuds. My rotation would be legumes, spuds, roots and brassicas, the brassicas follow the legumes round.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 12:16 »
My brassicas go in straight after the spuds. I lime the soil and tread it firm. This way i keep the lime as far away from the potatoes as i can and get 2 crops from that bed in 1 year.  :)
Everybody works to their own plan :)

zazen999

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009, 13:17 »
I am rotating the spuds round the plot and everything else just gets mixed up....so I interplant all my crops, and if anything becomes an issue [like club root] THEN I will rotate that as well. At the moment, I am rotating the spuds so that every bed gets a good digging over when they come out. As long as you put a different crop into the space that has just been vacated, and don't put potatoes in a bed that was limed the previous year, and don't have any major pest or disease problems, you are mini rotating by not replacing like with like.

The Norfolk Turkey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2009, 19:20 »
I too am new to the winter veg scene (but to be honest we were new to summer ones this year too!!) and asked a similar question not so long ago.....

Im planning on (some) of the following that its not too late for:
beetroot, pak choi, carrots, radish, turnip, spring cabbage, spring onion and swede - havent decided what yet though!!

We wanted some brussels, but found out it was too late like yourself, fortunately our well-known-national garden centre is clearing out on its GYO plugs and we now have 6 healthy looking sprouts in!! Woo hoo! Christmas here we come!!

Ive also heard people talking of Christmas spuds, but I dont have clue what these are or where to get them!!

Hope this gives you a few ideas - good luck!!

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2009, 19:26 »
Xams spuds are first earlies (new potatoes) that will hopefully be ready for Christmas if planted now or in the near future. Examples are Rocket and Charlotte
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

The Norfolk Turkey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2009, 19:31 »
Wheres a good place to get them please?!  :D

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2009, 19:42 »
DT Browns have some in their new catalogue, (send out in July) so Im assuming other online sites do too.  Not sure if Wilkos is getting them in, but worth an eye out in the next couple of weeks

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2009, 19:45 »

The Norfolk Turkey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2009, 20:01 »
Ta!!  :)

lozenge

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2009, 12:16 »
someone tell me about leeks. can i put them in now? can you buy plants or only seeds?

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2009, 12:23 »
someone tell me about leeks. can i put them in now? can you buy plants or only seeds?
Leeks by now are normally either in the ground or are ready to follow tats, to get them to that stage is probably a little late now for full on thick leeks but if you don't mind them being a little skinny (like them over the channel) then sow now. I very much doubt you would get plants now, unless your on a site where someone may have some spare.

lozenge

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2009, 12:52 »
skinny is fine with me. any recommended varieties?

lozenge

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2009, 12:54 »
oh and btw suttons have got Christmas pots

xx
winter kill temperatures of winter-hardy vegetables

Started by Subversive_plot on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post November 28, 2022, 11:40
by cc
xx
Winter vegetables

Started by chickpeacurry on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 31, 2014, 09:38
by devonbarmygardener
xx
Winter vegetables?

Started by tinyallotment on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post October 13, 2014, 17:43
by Headgardener22
xx
Winter vegetables and fruits

Started by Angel on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 03, 2006, 16:10
by fishwife

Page created in 0.398 seconds with 37 queries.