Advance planning: flea beetle control on aubergines?

• 4 Replies

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
Advance planning: flea beetle control on aubergines?
« on: December 31, 2022, 14:30 »
I've had limited success growing aubergines, usually related to flea beetle damage. The leaves are riddled with tiny holes and stunted.  I have tried some organic controls, including spinosad, without much luck.

Before I throw good money after bad, are flea beetles a problem for you, and how do you control them on aubergines? I prefer organic controls, if effective, but will consider other methods if necessary.

Thank you
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Advance planning: flea beetle control on aubergines?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2022, 19:35 »
I can't remember are aubergines self-pollinating? could you grow them under very fine netting?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2022, 19:35 »
Flea beetles are not a pest over here on aubergines as far as I know.  Red spider mite is the usual problem as most people grow aubergines as a greenhouse crop.

Brassicas are the ones that get flea beetled the most in the UK.  Some people grow under insect proof mesh to keep them out, others spray.  We can get sprays based on pyrethrum that have some effect, but I know a lot of people use Provanto.  Info here:

https://www.protect-garden.co.uk/provantor-ultimate-bug-killer-4764

An old remedy for a row of brassica seedlings was to run your hand along the row while holding a yellow sticky trap designed for hanging in a greenhouse closely above the foliage with the other hand.  The idea was the beetles would jump up and get caught on the trap.  I’m not sure how easy that would be with an aubergine plant though.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2023, 21:12 »
I can't remember are aubergines self-pollinating? could you grow them under very fine netting?

From what read, the flowers have both male and female parts, but something (wind, insect, human, etc.) Has to jostle the flowers to get the pollen where it needs to be.

If I follow you reasoning, a row cover of some type may help, thanks!

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2023, 23:00 »
Flea beetles are not a pest over here on aubergines as far as I know.  Red spider mite is the usual problem as most people grow aubergines as a greenhouse crop.

Brassicas are the ones that get flea beetled the most in the UK.  Some people grow under insect proof mesh to keep them out, others spray.  We can get sprays based on pyrethrum that have some effect, but I know a lot of people use Provanto.  Info here:

https://www.protect-garden.co.uk/provantor-ultimate-bug-killer-4764

An old remedy for a row of brassica seedlings was to run your hand along the row while holding a yellow sticky trap designed for hanging in a greenhouse closely above the foliage with the other hand.  The idea was the beetles would jump up and get caught on the trap.  I’m not sure how easy that would be with an aubergine plant though.

Thanks for the suggestions.

The mesh (as a row cover) might work.

Provanto is not a product over here, and so far I haven't found a product here with those ingredients. I'll keep looking.

The sticky trap thing is an idea, maybe something I could substitute duct tape for?

xx
Flea beetle control

Started by Plot22 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 08, 2009, 22:02
by mumofstig
xx
Help needed with flea beetle control

Started by Reece on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 28, 2009, 18:57
by Reece
xx
Flea beetle

Started by fletch on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 18, 2008, 22:37
by compostqueen
xx
Flea Beetle

Started by Novice on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post July 21, 2006, 09:24
by Oliver

Page created in 0.303 seconds with 42 queries.