Butter beans...

• 16 Replies

Growster...

Re: Butter beans...
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2016, 10:16 »
Interesting, Daniel. I've been wondering about Czar. Thank you. I can easily add several metres of poles on 'The Patch', as space is not at a premium.

Thanks Mum. Mrs Growster gently reminded me of the dried beans, and not to use the tinned ones, and we've just got back from Tesco and forgot to look... (well it was soooo cold, and it took us ages to get in the door, as it was like a skating rink out there)!

News, these varieties really are the spice of life as far as I'm concerned. I seem to recall that Beekissed grows enough to last her the year too...

Looking on Gurgle to see what a dahl looks like raw, I found these, which I certainly have never heard of!

https://www.amazon.com/Pigeon-Seeds-Cajanus-cajan-Pea-Tree-Bean/dp/B003XS7FX6 Are they similar?

I did make up some dried aduki beans recently, and they're almost in the superfood bracket according to some pundits!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Butter beans...
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2016, 10:45 »
Aren't Pigeon Peas the proper ones to make rice and peas from  :unsure:  I may well be wrong  :lol:

The dhals I buy from Twongos are a mix of beans and lentils I think.  My favourites are chana and mung, although I think I also have some urad and toor lurking in the cupboard.   Channa are like yellow split peas, mung is mung beans shelled and split in half.  Not sure what the others are but urad look beany and toor look lentilly.  As well as dhal, you can make pancakes and host of other inexpensive tasty and nutritious dishes from them.

As well as the mass of fresh stuff all summer to go at, I like growing crops that feel like you are stashing away supplies for the year, hence my fixation with beans I think  :lol:  In fact I have seriously limited my seed collection this year to focus on stuff that delivers, but is also great to cook with  ;)

smiley
Butter Beans

Started by peter168 on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post July 16, 2011, 10:21
by AnneB
xx
Butter beans

Started by Grasshopper on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 20, 2010, 19:43
by Grasshopper
xx
butter beans

Started by pistol on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post December 02, 2008, 17:31
by Yorkie
xx
butter beans

Started by Freddie on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 27, 2007, 15:50
by yummy

Page created in 0.305 seconds with 36 queries.