parsnips

• 8 Replies

jambop

parsnips
« on: April 03, 2020, 08:43 »
I sowed my first row of parsnips yesterday. As an aid to germination I watered them in and then covered the row with a sheet of polythene held down with a few stones. I am hoping that if this both helps the soil get warmed quickly each day and maybe stay slightly more moist it will get them away better? Growing two different varieties this year Guernsey and Gladiator F1 .

Kleftiwallah

Re: parsnips
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2020, 09:41 »
Good morning jambop,  my fingers are crossed for you.  After quite a few failures and after advice fom this forum I've started 'chitting' mine on kitchen paper in a plastic takeaway tray.  I'm having far more success and transferring them to bottomless tar paper pots as they roots emerge.

Cheers,  Tony. :)
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Gleavo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2020, 14:17 »
@Kleftiwallah:

I'm intrigued (mine are always hit and miss!) so, damp kitchen paper until they sprout and then one in each pot? do you cover them after they have been transplanted? and then just plant the whole thing in rows?

cheers
Gra

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2020, 17:25 »
Hello Gleavo,
 just keep peeping each day and when you see white rootlet carefully place in a plant pot (or disposable coffee cup), gently cover with vermiculite or sieved soil.  The roots are VERY delicate so the sooner you see the root the better.  When well established, transfer to final growing position.

Cheers,  Tony.

jambop

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2020, 18:50 »
Good morning jambop,  my fingers are crossed for you.  After quite a few failures and after advice fom this forum I've started 'chitting' mine on kitchen paper in a plastic takeaway tray.  I'm having far more success and transferring them to bottomless tar paper pots as they roots emerge.

Cheers,  Tony. :)
I just think they are a seed that requires just the right temperature and humidity to successfully germinate I tend to think a dry'ish soil it going to be less successful at achieving that goal... nothing to lose really. I will publish my results if or when the blighters come through :lol:

Flowertot

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2020, 17:49 »
I saw some advice on here a few years ago about waiting until it’s warm to sow parsnips. So that’s what I do - wait until May. Then I sow them direct. It’s worked for me - every year I get a good rate of germination and a good crop of parsnips.  :)

jambop

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2020, 18:46 »
@flowertot I think you are right! I think that because we gardeners all want to get early crops of this and that and have a long growing season we try to germinate seeds in the ground when the conditions are not right for germination. I have directly sown and we have good temperatures at the moment so fingers crossed. I have another variety still to sow and they will go in next week.

rowlandwells

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2020, 19:32 »
i am a bit concerned that the present government restrictions mite alter meaning that we will be no longer aloud to travel to our allotments so I'm hanging on till May to sow I've also been thinking about making a parsnip box i seen someone growing parsnips in wooden box lined with black poly sheet

and when they lifted them out of the box they where  good parsnips i know your not going to get arm fulls of parsnips that depends on how big you make your box  :D

jambop

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2020, 08:21 »
i am a bit concerned that the present government restrictions mite alter meaning that we will be no longer aloud to travel to our allotments so I'm hanging on till May to sow I've also been thinking about making a parsnip box i seen someone growing parsnips in wooden box lined with black poly sheet

and when they lifted them out of the box they where  good parsnips i know your not going to get arm fulls of parsnips that depends on how big you make your box  :D
Last year I made a large conical hole with an iron bar at 25cm centers and back fill the hole with compost and sowed three seeds on each hole. I worked and I got monster parsnips, too big really . So this year I am going conventional and trying to get normal sized parsnips and more of them with less work  :lol:
DSCN3999.JPG

xx
Parsnips. Whats the rot inside my parsnips? Photo attached

Started by swaine on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 31, 2010, 21:32
by philsmith1967
xx
Parsnips

Started by Rosy on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 22, 2008, 13:21
by kentishlad
xx
Parsnips

Started by agapanthus on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post May 04, 2013, 22:48
by Growster...
xx
Parsnips help

Started by Rangerkris on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post April 06, 2011, 20:38
by Plottered

Page created in 0.331 seconds with 43 queries.