Spicy pumpkin soup

• 21 Replies

agapanthus

Spicy pumpkin soup
« on: October 31, 2007, 09:05 »
Recipe for the pumpkin soup we had on the foray.....not exactly sure of quantities but but fiddle around with it to taste :)

Roast slices of pumpkin  (drizzled with olive oil) in oven til soft...about 40/45 mins

Gently fry a large onion until soft...add 2/3 cloves chopped garlic ( I also added a large clove of elephant garlic) a level teaspoon of freshly ground cumin seeds and as many chopped chillies as you like either 1 or 2 hot ones or a couple of milder ones( I used a mixture of pinnochio's nose, lemon drop and cayenne). Cook for a few mins.
Add chunks of pumpkin and also chopped sweet red pepper, chicken stock (not too much) salt and freshly ground black pepper and a teaspoon of sugar. Top the lot off with milk and simmer for about 20 mins. Add more milk if necessary ( the soup does get very thick). When cooked adjust seasoning and add a big splodge of double (or single ) cream/creme fraiche ----or both! and a few tablespoons of chopped freesh coriander and parsley. Enjoy!!! :)

gobs

Spicy pumpkin soup
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 09:59 »
Sounds lush, Aggy!
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Selkie

Spicy pumpkin soup
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 10:12 »
i guess you could use veggie stock and make it vegetarian? :?:

WG.

Spicy pumpkin soup
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2007, 10:17 »
Mmmm - yummy - all I need now is a pumpkin

muntjac

Spicy pumpkin soup
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2007, 10:17 »
it was blooming lubberly  and im making my own lol ..  :lol:
still alive /............

mushroom

Spicy pumpkin soup
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2007, 10:26 »
Right, i shall cook this tonight. I'll post photos of the result. off to search for a pumpkin, Ta for the recipe :)

agapanthus

Spicy pumpkin soup
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2007, 12:12 »
Quote from: "rosemarycallsthegoddess"
i guess you could use veggie stock and make it vegetarian? :?:

Sure Rose....go for it ! :)

mushroom

Spicy pumpkin soup
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2007, 17:01 »
Quote from: "mushroom"
Right, i shall cook this tonight. I'll post photos of the result. off to search for a pumpkin, Ta for the recipe :)

I looked and looked and looked and looked and looked, they all ran out of em yesterday  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:

Dabhand

Spicy pumpkin soup
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2007, 20:12 »
Sounds really yummy, I will have a go when I get chance.

agapanthus

Spicy pumpkin soup
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2007, 20:14 »

I looked and looked and looked and looked and looked, they all ran out of em yesterday  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:

Aw what a shame :(

muntjac

Spicy pumpkin soup
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2007, 20:16 »
asda have loads left here £0.99 each again now  :lol:

jacnal

• http://jacnal.blogspot.com/
Re: Spicy pumpkin soup
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2007, 21:58 »
Quote from: "agapanthus"
Recipe for the pumpkin soup we had on the foray.....not exactly sure of quantities but but fiddle around with it to taste :)

Roast slices of pumpkin  (drizzled with olive oil) in oven til soft...about 40/45 mins

Gently fry a large onion until soft...add 2/3 cloves chopped garlic ( I also added a large clove of elephant garlic) a level teaspoon of freshly ground cumin seeds and as many chopped chillies as you like either 1 or 2 hot ones or a couple of milder ones( I used a mixture of pinnochio's nose, lemon drop and cayenne). Cook for a few mins.
Add chunks of pumpkin and also chopped sweet red pepper, chicken stock (not too much) salt and freshly ground black pepper and a teaspoon of sugar. Top the lot off with milk and simmer for about 20 mins. Add more milk if necessary ( the soup does get very thick). When cooked adjust seasoning and add a big splodge of double (or single ) cream/creme fraiche ----or both! and a few tablespoons of chopped freesh coriander and parsley. Enjoy!!! :)

Thanks Aggy for posting. Will be making this tomorrow!
Jac

Trying organic gardening. Hoping to stick to it.

Sally A

Spicy pumpkin soup
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2007, 22:20 »
Must say, that't the tastiest pumpkin recipe I've ever seen. wish I'd grown some now.  Still, will have a go next year.

agapanthus

Re: Spicy pumpkin soup
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2007, 22:34 »
Quote from: "jacnal"
Quote from: "agapanthus"

Thanks Aggy for posting. Will be making this tomorrow!

Enjoy darling!!!! :)

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
Spicy pumpkin soup
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2007, 10:11 »
ahhhh roast the pumpkin 1st... nice idea. Made some last night and it was delicious. It was almost the same as yours but had a huge handful of coriander blitzed and chucked in during cooking then more to garnish..

defo going to roast the next lot I do.. Thanks

PS made with veg stock for Mr Veggie here :D

xx
Spicy (and healthy!) butternut squash soup

Started by Elcie on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

0 Replies
Last post August 25, 2009, 10:53
by Elcie
xx
Pumpkin soup

Started by Debz on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

8 Replies
Last post November 02, 2008, 13:24
by chickchick
xx
pumpkin soup

Started by LILLILEAF on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post August 28, 2016, 18:34
by snowdrops
xx
Pumpkin soup

Started by Annie on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post October 28, 2006, 23:57
by muntjac

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 38 queries.