Hedgerow Jam

• 18 Replies

Spana

Re: Hedgerow Jam
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2011, 14:56 »
Now - do I reboil or not?

Any thoughts?

Did you put any lemon juice in it?

If you add the sieved pulp and reboil you will then have a sort of jam which would still be nice.
Not sure if its too late to add lemon juice now if you didn't put any in  before.
How many jars have you made.  If its a lot it might be worth doing something with it  if it is too soft.  It was cold I suppose :unsure:
But it all part of preserving :D I still make the odd batch thats not quite as i would wish but it all gets eaten :lol:

Maryann

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2011, 16:26 »
Thanks Spana - I got the juice for my jelly by using a steam juicer - the juice is very concentrated and has bags of flavour. I only had about 2lbs fruit and was anxious to use it up before it started to gather wooly coats and knew I would only get 2 or 3 jars. I did put about 3/4 of a lemon cut up in with the fruit when it was being steamed.

My hubby says it is fine and I am worrying too much but I can just see the mess the grandchildren might get in with it and this combo is one of their favourites - especially as no pips!

I got just over 2 pints of juice and it made 3 and a half 12oz jars of jelly. If I tip one of the full jars to the side it moves slowly and the odd half jar we are using was the firmer stuff left in bottom of maslin pan. Maybe I'll leave it and just issue a warning "soft set"  ::) Would like to get it right next time tho!
I Came.....I Saw......I Composted

Spana

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2011, 16:49 »
Would like to get it right next time tho!

Personally that's what I would do. :) from what you've said it sounds ok, i bet it tastes lovely and who's to say how it should or shouldn't be, this batch is just how it is. The jams you can buy are all the same because they have all sorts of things put in them to make them all the same.  Ours are lovely, individual and made by us . :)

hamstergbert

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2011, 17:59 »
Don't think you have too much of a problem by the sound of it MaryAnne - if when you tip the jar it separates from the glass as one (albeit soft) piece as opposed to pours away leaving a layer still attached to the glass where it was then you have achieved a nice softish set jelly.

If it is a sort of non-newtonian fluid type of consistence (if you get a heaped spoonful it runs over the sides very slowly instead of gradually flops over) simply relabel it as 'conserve' and point out that is how you meant it to be....

(Incidentally I am another one who prefers to avoid jam sugar with pectin if possible - I usually try to get the set from apples/plums if I can get hold of them - especially buckshee!  But the key thing is to do what you feel most comfortable doing and enjoy it!)

Now a hamstergbert secret tip:  if you have a really tasty jellly/conserve that is very soft or un-set, why not flash it into your next batch of muffins.  When loading the cases with whatever variety of muffins you are doing, put about a third full, then a small teaspoonful of your jilly, then the other third of a case of mix.   When you bake them the jilly seems to simply infuse itself up into the structure (no blob in the middle) and gives a wonderfully subtle extra charm to each muffin.   Particularly popular in hamstergbert towers with the particularly tangy brews.
The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

xx
Hedgerow Jam

Started by Mosslane on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

7 Replies
Last post September 06, 2010, 22:38
by Madame Cholet
xx
Hedgerow Jelly

Started by scabs on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

0 Replies
Last post October 29, 2008, 14:02
by scabs
xx
Hedgerow Jelly Question...

Started by HelenK on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post August 13, 2009, 16:07
by scabs
sad
Hedgerow Jelly a disaster

Started by scabs on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

20 Replies
Last post October 01, 2009, 14:41
by scabs

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 38 queries.