Blackcurrant Jam

• 19 Replies

Ma Lowe

• Allotment owner from Feb 2014
Blackcurrant Jam
« on: July 06, 2014, 06:32 »
We HAD 5 blackcurrant bushes on our plot when we first took it over and were going to dig them all up as they have been there for over 40 years apparently? We dug one up but it was a bit more difficult than we thought so left the other 4 there.
The blackcurrants are a bit tart but when made into a jam, using Val's recipe from her book(great book) they are awesome. I think it's the best blackcurrant jam I have ever tasted. I was expecting to have to pick the contents of all 4 bushes, which are huge, in order to get  a few jars of jam, but I have only picked 2 bowls full of about 4kg and made 19 jars of it  :D still loads left to pick so am now expecting to have at least another 19 jars of it.

Off to look for a load of jars now  :D

chrissie B

Re: Blackcurrant Jam
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 20:40 »
well done , I have got only 1 tiny bush brought back from the brink of death , hubby gets me these on the brink plants it only had 1 leaf and its looking better now hoping for some thing next year , why did you dig up one plant .
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

compostqueen

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 20:44 »
Cor blimey, home made blackcurrant jam is the bees knees I reckon. It is absolutely gorgeous. When I made my first batch I was gobsmacked at how easy it was to make something so flippin delish.  I could dive into a bath of the stuff  :tongue2: :D

Not made mine yet. I put chicken wire over one of my plants that has fruit on it now, to keep the birds off til I can harvest the berries tomorrow. If the birds breach my defences I'll go nuts  :mad:  They are so cunning them blackbirds  :mad:

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2014, 20:46 »
Dashes off to find vals book

Maryann

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2014, 20:53 »
Sadly not got enough currants to make any this year  :(
I always get loads of blackberry's but it's not a very popular seller nor is raspberry....maybe it's the pips  :unsure:
I've just made raspberry & mango and raspberry & lime and they are scrummy and I bet they will fly off the table....I'll let you know.
We only sell locally at Fete's, Fairs and a small local market and all our profits go to charity - it's great fun but you get a lot of surprises selling to the public  :lol:
I Came.....I Saw......I Composted

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2014, 21:14 »
After its heavy pruning of 2 years ago, and no fruit last year, this time I got 3lbs of lovely big blackcurrants.  Brian doesn't like the seeds, so I made blackcurrant jelly using Val's recipe.  It is AWESOME.

I did give one little jar to our friend Hazel when she and Harry popped round yesterday, but Brian isn't getting any!  After the picking time, and preparation, then bottling, I had 5 little jars of it.  Then he said was it worth all that effort for 'them' ?

Imbecile,  >:( of course it was!    ;) ;) ;)

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2014, 22:26 »
I made a delicious blackcurrant cordial out of mine last year :)

Ma Lowe

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2014, 22:51 »
I made a delicious blackcurrant cordial out of mine last year :)

I have loads more to pick and want to try the cordial too

well done , I have got only 1 tiny bush brought back from the brink of death , hubby gets me these on the brink plants it only had 1 leaf and its looking better now hoping for some thing next year , why did you dig up one plant .
chrissie b

It was hard work digging the one bush up so we gave them a reprieve and well worth it too  :D

Dashes off to find vals book

It's a great book with loads of recipes for jams jellies chutneys and the like.  :)

Val H

• Head Cook and Bottle Washer
    • Recipes
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2014, 00:27 »
Strangely enough I've harvested 4 lbs of black currants today. Picked them over and froze as, believe it or not, the weather in Wales is lovely and not inclined to jam making :D :D :D.
Val
Recipes Galore!

compostqueen

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2014, 08:27 »
You can make a cheese cake mixture with them. Whizz up with tub of lf cottage cheese, blackcurrants, sugar free blackcurrant jelly, job's a good un  :tongue2:

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2014, 08:39 »
Blackcurrant jelly-making is on the list for next weekend - Mum's bushes are ripening nicely and I will get a quiet day of it while she's away and can leave her some jars as a surprise for when she comes back.  :)

Ma Lowe

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2014, 09:07 »
Strangely enough I've harvested 4 lbs of black currants today. Picked them over and froze as, believe it or not, the weather in Wales is lovely and not inclined to jam making :D :D :D.

Val it's a myth about Wales always being wet  :D when I lived there it felt like it was but we had great summers. Your book is a great addition to my cook books and very informative  :D

Val H

• Head Cook and Bottle Washer
    • Recipes
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2014, 12:16 »
Any tips on how to not get such a firm set with black currants? We've friends who like what they call a "pouring jam".

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2014, 12:50 »
This jelly I made was solid, but I can often do a pouring jam with blackcurrants believe it or not!  :lol: No tis, but if I make some any time, I'll bring it over!  ;) ;)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2014, 12:56 »
Surely adding a little more boiling water would 'loosen' the set .................

xx
Best blackcurrant jam ever

Started by Poolfield2 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post August 05, 2009, 21:44
by Bombers
clip
BlackCurrant Jam

Started by BobE on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

15 Replies
Last post August 01, 2013, 00:48
by Mrs Bee
xx
Blackcurrant Jam

Started by MoreWhisky on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post June 22, 2011, 02:03
by Trillium
xx
blackcurrant chutney

Started by gypsy on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post August 29, 2013, 20:59
by gypsy

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 37 queries.