Hopefully getting piggies next year!

• 3 Replies

Helenaj

Hopefully getting piggies next year!
« on: September 19, 2011, 13:27 »
Hi. A first-time posting for me on this forum - I usually lurk in the poultry sections!

I am looking to get some pigs next year to raise for pork for myself and family. Before I decide to get them (pig rearing course pending!), can anyone tell me if they are suitable for woodland? I have an acre and a half, a full acre of which is natural woodland (hazel, ash, willow etc). Would they thrive in an area like this or would the cleared area be more to their taste (where my allotment currently lies!).

Any advice greatfully received.

GTFC197

• Experienced Member
Re: Hopefully getting piggies next year!
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 12:00 »
We are getting  2 Berkshires, they are great rooters, better than a plough cos they eat all the roots they dig up.

Have a look at the BPA website, (British Pig Association), we got loads of great advice from them.

Also look for your local Smallholders club and the Rare Breads Association.

Sorry I can't be more helpful, new to it ourselves, picking our 2 little boys up on Saturday 1st October.

I do know that pigs in a woodland setting can clear the area of any plants or saplings, so be careful as to what you may loose.

Have fun, I know we will. ;)

Mick & Babs :)

Helenaj

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 09:07 »
Thanks. I've since been told that pigs were originally a woodland animal so they should be right at home. I don't mind if they clear it as it's very overgrown and they will certainly do us a great favour if they can dig out all the old weeds and brambles! I'll just have to purchase very secure fencing as I've been told that they are escape artists and I value my allotment!

GTFC197

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 15:24 »
I'm not sure if you can see in my photo's, but we have stock fencing and on the inside we have 4 strands of polywire electric fencing.
They have learnt very quickly how much of a shock they get by touching it.
I've just got to remember it's there, not nice.

Have fun with them, we only got them on Saturday and even now they come running when we shake thier food in bucket as we walk to thier compound.

Best thing we ever did.

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 35 queries.