piggies here we come..

• 52 Replies

GTFC197

• Experienced Member
piggies here we come..
« on: June 13, 2011, 21:18 »
Finally got our "Holding Number" from the RPA today,  :) :) now we can start to get fencing sorted.
checked with council to make sure we were still ok to keep pigs on our strip and got the thumbs up.
Went to "open farm day yesterday" near Oakham, got soaked but also got lots of advice about keeping pigs, they answered all our questions and even told us things that we never thought of asking about.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: piggies here we come..
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 21:22 »
ooh let me know when you get them so I can come and see  :D
Staffies are softer than you think.

GTFC197

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 14:18 »
sorry for delay in replying, it wont be till probably late August when we get them, but will let you know when they arrive.

debih

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 13:39 »
You'll love keeping pigs - they are great!

We are now on our third lot.  We started with one GOS/Berks X, one Middle White and two Tamworths.  Then had four mongrel pigs - a bit of everything in them.

We now have 6 - two Saddleback/Oxford Sandy & Black X and four pure Berkshires.

They are so easy to look after and are great fun.  They love contact and love being brushed, although the larger they get the more boistorous they get!

We had 6 turkeys last year and this year have 25 on order.

Our friends (who we share our land with) have just ordered 2 Shetland cows, both with calves and both should hopefully be in calf when they come at the end of July.
I always find that work gets in the way of life.

GTFC197

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 12:14 »
Stop it, you're making us jealous, you seem to have what we dream of having, but finances say no. :(
We try the lottery, only want 2nd prize, don't want millions,  :wacko: just enough to be able to fulfil our dream. :(
We are probably starting off with 2-3 Tamworths, but not definite yet, still comparing breeds, taking wife for a day out at Jimmy's Farm on Friday, not telling her, extra b/day surprise. ;)

debih

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 11:35 »
You should have a nice time at Jimmy's Farm - I haven't been but hubby has when he was working in the area and he says it is great.

We fell lucky with the land.  Our friends bought it to build a house on but didn't really want the extra land, other than a couple of paddocks for the ponies.  Fortunately it is close enough to just be able to walk to - which was a godsend in all the snow we had last winter.

So we clubbed together to buy the electric fencing and have gone into a "loose" partnership together to rear and sell pigs (eventually I think we will have a go at breeding) and turkeys.  The cows are their venture - we fancy sheep rather than cows so that is our aim for next year - half a dozen sheep to raise for lamb and hoggat.

They have half a dozen chickens over there too but our chickens are in our back garden.

GTFC197

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2011, 07:16 »
Picking our 2 piggies up on 1st October, :) 2 little boy Berkshires. Fencing is up and running, just got to finish gate, picking up 1 trough today, just need another one.

Babs is like a child waiting for Christmas, :lol: must admit that I can't wait either. ;)
Will put pics on here as soon as we get them settled in.

Seems like ages ago since we decided to take the plunge, but rather have everything done properly from the start. ;)

just got back from collecting an old cast iron feeding trough, it's in brilliant condition, no cracks, cleaned all the old mud off it and now going to give it a coat of metal paint, will check first to make sure it's ok to use. 4 ft long, 6ins high at the front and 12ins high at the back, only cost me £25.00. The round mexican hat types are going for between £30-£50.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 14:31 by GTFC197 »

GTFC197

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 21:22 »
Just finished making pig house, we were given a free 2000ltr round plastic/rubber storage tank, so we laid it on its side, cut about 6 inches off length ways so it now sits on the ground without rolling.
Stood up the tank was about 6ft tall and about 3' 6" diameter. Putting a couple of euro pallets inside for a floor and putting in lots of straw. It is totally waterproof and I will be fixing some pieces of thin sheet metal around the doorway to stop them chewing it. Will try and get photo on here tomorrow.

GTFC197

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2011, 21:58 »
Tank before alteration. :ohmy:

Will post pics of finished product as soon as everything finished. ;)
DSCN4394 (600 x 450).jpg
DSCN4395 (600 x 450).jpg

GTFC197

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2011, 18:37 »
nearly there, bigger than it looks 6'long x 3'6" dia. having wooden floor aswell. driving in a pole at each corner, to stop them moving it, hopefully.
DSCN4399 (600 x 450).jpg
DSCN4400 (600 x 450).jpg

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2011, 19:31 »
Looking good Mick.  :) Have you got your Rylock sorted so that the piggies don't get out?
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

GTFC197

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2011, 20:24 »
got a self closing catch on the outside, stock fencing all round and 4 strands of extra strong polywire around the inside, if they get out of that I'll then erect a sentry post at each corner complete with guard and machine gun. :lol:

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2011, 06:52 »
That sounds pretty secure.  :D

GTFC197

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2011, 09:27 »
( trumpet fanfare) :D sorry couldn't resist it, waited so long for them, ;)

My Lords, Ladies & Gentlemen,

Please welcome Augustus & Perriwinkle, ???,  14yr old daughter named them, now come on, Perriwinkle for a boy? :ohmy:

Got to post piccies seperately because it keeps saying file is too big, even though I am using the same resizer as normal and the same settings >:(

GTFC197

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2011, 09:50 »
still not letting me post piccies, sorry

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 38 queries.