Using bubblewrap in a tunnel

• 3 Replies

shokkyy

• Mishka
Using bubblewrap in a tunnel
« on: July 14, 2012, 21:58 »
How does everybody use bubblewrap in their tunnels? Can it be used as a cloche covering or just to line the tunnel to improve insulation? Early this year I used water pipe cloches in my tunnel with fleece on, and according to my thermometer it wasn't any warmer under the cloches than it was outside them. I need to come up with a more effective plan for a bit of extra warmth before the autumn and some type of cloche would be easier to manage than trying to line the walls.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: Using bubblewrap in a tunnel
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 22:40 »
I've only ever bubblewrapped my small greenhouse.  The only thing I've ever done in the tunnel is to cover stuff with fleece.

I don't usually try to grow much later than normal, but I may try it this year considering how bad a year we've all had!  :(

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 23:11 »
I only ever used fleece in mine, and then only when the nights were actually freezing. I didn't grow anything that needed more protection, ie only winter salads and brassicas.

What are you going to grow that needs moe warmth?

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 23:58 »
A more effective cloche will allow me to keep the tender stuff alive for longer at the end of summer, so I can maximise the crops of stuff like cucumbers that can't be frozen and avoid having to freeze things like peppers and aubergines for as long as possible. It should also allow me to grow a better range of lettuce and keep the frost off things I leave in the tunnel beds, like beetroot and celery. And in the New Year it'll allow me to make an extra early start with things like new spuds and early peas and French beans. The fleece I was using earlier this year really wasn't doing any good at all as far as I could tell, because I had min/max thermometers inside and outside of the cloche and they were both recording the same temps.

xx
Bubblewrap in tunnels

Started by shokkyy on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

4 Replies
Last post October 08, 2012, 20:02
by yorky
xx
Tunnel Q

Started by AndyRVTR on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

2 Replies
Last post December 03, 2020, 17:07
by rowlandwells
xx
chillis in tunnel

Started by samnorfolk on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

10 Replies
Last post April 27, 2013, 10:00
by Headgardener22
xx
Toad in the tunnel

Started by jondav on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

3 Replies
Last post October 13, 2012, 19:27
by bluedog

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 40 queries.