Self-pollinating runner beans

• 2 Replies

JayG

• Global Moderator
Self-pollinating runner beans
« on: March 31, 2015, 15:11 »
OK, all runner beans are technically self-fertile - I'm talking about the ones which claim to not need insects to pollinate them - Moonlight and Firestorm come to mind.

Has anyone grown them, and what did you think of them, particularly regarding flavour and stringiness?

I save seed from White Lady and have been growing them for years with no problems, and personally think they're hard to beat, but there is always a bit of an anxious wait for the bees to find them (or to possibly learn the trick of 'tripping' the flowers to pollinate them.)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 18:33 by JayG »
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Blackpool rocket

Re: Self-pollinating runner beans
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 17:14 »
I have grown both.
I think that Firestorm are a better producer. I've never had them both "side by side" so a taste comparison isn't really possible.
I always use one of these even for the earliest beans, I just can't stand any stringy bits, I'd rather not take the chance.

From what I remember from last year (Moonlight) they were consistent throughout the season although mine were very late.
I've always had problems with pollenation so I doubt I'll be going back to the more traditional varieties.
I will always buy fresh seed because I want to be sure the seed is "true"

I think it's going to be Firestorm this year.

Br
bean stringer.jpg

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Self-pollinating runner beans
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 17:28 »
I have grown Red Rum and both Moonlight and White Lady, over the last couple of years - and liked both of the white ones.
Here, the Moonlight started to crop early and finished early, whilst the White Lady did start a couple of weeks later but carried on as long as the weather allowed.
The Red Rum had a very rough textured pod like some of the old runner varieties, which I didn't like much, so haven't grown them again

Taste-wise, I think they all tasted like runner beans  :lol:

xx
Beans cross pollinating?

Started by Totty on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post July 29, 2010, 13:16
by Totty
xx
Cross pollinating beans?

Started by Totty on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post January 09, 2012, 19:38
by gobs
xx
French beans, short crop v. runner beans?

Started by woodburner on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post June 10, 2010, 16:02
by crh75
xx
Confused about runner and non-runner beans!

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post June 15, 2015, 20:24
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.376 seconds with 41 queries.