How are your crops coping with this year's weather?

• 26 Replies

Grubbypaws

Re: How are your crops coping with this year's weather?
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2020, 10:35 »
The strong winds are downing the most damage for us  >:(
My parsnips were small when the first gales struck and I lost quite a few. The potatoes have also been battered.
Beets and blackcurrants are 2 weeks early.
Second setting of Pak Choi a complete failure. 8 out of 10 didnt germinate and the 2 that did havent grown  :unsure:

Nobbie

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2020, 15:07 »
Been pretty successful up here. The heavy clay probably helped as it retained a lot of the moisture from the very wet Feb and it was only the salad and seed beds that needed watering. Asparagus was very productive in the warm weather and the recent rain will do it good. Got a great crop of strawberries before the weather turned free from the slug plague I had in the wet last year. Luckily I planted loads of courgettes and can harvest them very small as they don’t seem keen to bulk up in the cold weather.

Just harvested the garlic as the wet weather would have started rotting the outer layers pretty soon. Looks like I caught them in time and it’s a heavy crop. Despite an early frost, I’ve just started digging the 2nd early potatoes and the bigger ones are 1/3 lb with no slug damage.

First year with climbing french beans and they seem very slow although there are some flowers on now.

The rain came at the right time for the brassica and it’s looking great with some lovely Hispi already consumed.

No major disappointments so far :D

Vagabond

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2020, 16:25 »
So interesting to read how the rest of you are fairing. It's been a real roller coaster this year in south west Ireland. Very wet... very dry... very wet and windy... has all conspired to make things quite a challenge.
My brassicas have proved to be the hardiest of the bunch and I've been cropping the spinach and kale for two or three weeks now and my psb looks promising. Beetroot stunted (was the ground too manure-rich?), bulb fennel not bulbing up as well as previous years, potatoes - no idea yet, onions, ditto, broad beans got battered and I'll have to just harvest what's there, runners and french beans are slow but I'm still hopeful, courgettes are just starting to produce, outside cucumber still very small, but one of the greenhouse cucumbers is climbing steadily and now producing flowers but it's leaves look diseased so don't know if it will fruit successfully.   ???
Tomatoes in the greenhouse are all fruiting, but nothing has ripened yet.

PhilConnors

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2020, 16:49 »
The wind over the last week was a cruel touch, esp with the reduction in temperatures but its great looking at a full plot. We've been able to go French Beans/Courgette on a regular basis for dinner over the last few weeks

Sometimes growing veg makes you feel like a beginner all over but every now and then you realise that you must have picked up some knowledge along the way. The latter means I haven't bothered sowing any Spinach for a few weeks now :-)

AnneB

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2020, 09:45 »
Biggest problems have been wind, pigeons and a flooded plot in February.
Pigeons have been munching beetroot so that has had to be covered and stripped the jostaberry before the berries were ripe.  They also sat on my tall peas.
February was so wet.  I think that affected some of my garlic and shallots but I did get a crop from the second garlic bed.
The recent wind has damaged sweetcorn, psb, beans and peas.  I have rescued them as far as possible.
The tomatoes in the greenhouse at home are all suffering badly from blossom end rot despite regular watering.  Those in the polytunnel at the allotment are doing much better.
Chillies are looking very good as are, drum roll required, aubergines and cucumbers.  Good crop of Wizard field beans, raspberries and redcurrants.  Strawberries disappointing. Blackcurrants ripening under netting.
Cabbages look excellent and we had a good crop of asparagus in its third year.
Courgettes and squash just starting to get going.  Lost 1 squash to the wind.

Grubbypaws

« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2020, 16:32 »
Moldy raspberries  :( and potato blight  >:(

prakash_mib

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2020, 22:30 »
What’s happening?
Its predicted 6 degrees tonight. Late frost,  Dry interlude, Gales, Too wet to even try weeding, and 6 degrees in mid July. 
If only we can write a script for apocalyptic movie  :wub:
One kid is handful. Two kids.... Example for chaos theory. Hats off to my mum who managed three...

Kenilworth

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2020, 10:53 »
Like most years some success and some failures: WFH has meant I have been able to stay on top of watering and feeding compared to most years.

Biggest success this year is I have managed to germinate two rows of parsnip for the first time in 3 years, red onions are a very good size and starting to collapse, started to harvest carrots which are showing no fly damage, Zuccini producing well as are the climbing French beans, potatoes in bags and beetroot. Salad crop, herbs, etc have cropped well too

Failures, for only the second time in 15 years my sweet corn tasselled early so whether we get any usable cobs I'm not sure. Strawberries lot of leaf not much fruit, second year plants so should have been fine. Tomatoes are a bit hit and miss with GD are doing well as is one of my beef tom plants but sungold and other beef tom plants really struggling. Cucumbers which I have grown successfully outside in the previous 3 or 4 years have not done well either lots of leaf but not much germination.

MarkC

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2020, 16:24 »
The warm dry spring had some challenges, but watering solved most of them. However, July was unremittingly cool, wet and quite miserable up here for the most part, and August is doing its best to beat that. It's not cold, but humid and very wet.

Brassicas started well but have now got clubroot in some and had to pull a few sprout plants, cabbage and sprouting broccoli. It even got my turnips and kohlrabi to a degree, though they were planted on a newly acquired bit of plot which I hadn't had a chance to lime.

Most other things doing well due to good drainage. Great crop of red onions, very large and now drying in greenhouse. Shallots great too. Can't complain really, there is always one thing that doesn't go well, and it's usually brassicas for me. Hoping that blight doesn't become an issue as conditions are now almost perfect for it....

NannyGreen

• Random, lackadaisical, wildlife friendly
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2020, 12:32 »
I am in total awe reading through these posts, it is possible I am the most serious challenge to my veg!  It is heartening though to hear others have had the same problems like late germinating French Beans and gale stressed tomatoes. Fortunately I have only have myself to feed.

So this year there will be no moussaka (too cold for too long) but there will be lots of preserved pears and I am expecting many jars of green tomato chutney.  Already freezing cucumber soup but only from the greenhouse plants, outdoors is a bit of a desert.......

Had a Crazy Covid moment and bought a lemon and an orange tree,  not a scooby how to deal with them so on a steep learning curve there. My Dad always told me gardening is about P's - Patience, perseverance and plants so I'm just going to hang on in there and wait for any harvest.

al78

« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2020, 14:15 »
Success apart from the dwarf beans and gem squash in the greenhouse which are dying. It is just too hot in there now, with 32+C outside, even with shading and ventilation, it will be pushing sixty degrees, nothing is going to survive that for any length of time.

Living in SE England, I will have to use the greenhouse to provide two growing seasons, spring and autumn, because the summers here are too warm to cultivate under glass, unless we have a lousy 2012 type summer.

Flowertot

« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2020, 16:22 »
I too had an issue with germinating French beans. 3 successive attempts in pots failed miserably so as a last ditch late attempt I sowed the last few in the packet direct. They are doing really well!
The spring sown summer cabbages and broccoli got infested by aphids and I ended up discarding the lot.
However, most other things are doing well this year so I’m not complaining.

xx
How's your plot coping with the weather

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post July 05, 2010, 19:59
by New shoot
xx
How is your plot coping with this summers weather?

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post August 21, 2017, 14:30
by sunshineband
xx
Adding lime for brassicas/crops later in year and

Started by wendycas on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 29, 2012, 11:25
by wendycas
xx
Overlapping next year's crops (garlic cloves)

Started by kirpi on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 09, 2014, 16:08
by kirpi

Page created in 0.301 seconds with 51 queries.