Wintering potted plants -in pots or in allotment?

• 2 Replies

econaturalist

Wintering potted plants -in pots or in allotment?
« on: October 25, 2012, 10:17 »
Hello!  I have recently acquired an allotment and I have lots of potted plants which I plan to plant in the allotment as their final resting place.  Most of them are various types of herbs as well as several Globe Artichokes.

My question is, do I plant them out now in the allotment and protect them with fleece or are they better off staying in the pots?  A few of them are certainly root bound and I want to give them the best chance of surviving.

Also, I have managed to make the place where I have my herbs weed free but the back end where I plan to put my artichokes is, well, choked with weeds. I am willing to clear that area next if the consensus is that they are better off in the allotment

Thanks so much for your help in advance!  I will probably be posting several more questions very soon.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Wintering potted plants -in pots or in allotment?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 11:02 »
I'd keep any mediterranean herbs and the artichokes in a greenhouse/cold frame if it's possible.
On Friday we're forcast a change to freezing temperatures and the potted plants won't like that, or being transplanted into cold wet soil either  :ohmy:

If no greenhouse is available at least keep them in the lee of a sheltering wall or hedge.

econaturalist

Re: Wintering potted plants -in pots or in allotment?
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 14:19 »
Thanks for the advice, unfortunately I do not have a greenhouse or coldframe available to me at the moment.  I certainly can huddle them all next to the house and a few of them are survivors from the last winter and will hopefully do ok.  Would putting the artichokes in a shed give them a better chance?  I read you are meant to cut the foliage off anyway around now. 

xx
over-wintering pepper plants in pots

Started by mjg000 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post October 05, 2017, 13:07
by Aidy
xx
dead potted tom plants

Started by mashbintater on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post November 02, 2008, 20:52
by mashbintater
xx
Over Wintering Strawberries, What Sized Pots?

Started by MickyB on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post August 08, 2013, 13:36
by surbie100
xx
Over-wintering Chilli plants

Started by coop-de-tat on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post August 20, 2013, 20:41
by coop-de-tat

Page created in 0.342 seconds with 40 queries.