parsley

• 7 Replies

rowlandwells

parsley
« on: December 21, 2021, 19:05 »
I slipped up this year big time with our parsley I usually pick the parsley  before winter and put it in the freezer to use at a later date but I just forgot to do this and now I'm having to buy what I need yes your rite I need to get my act together as far as picking my parley crop is concerned

we usually grow both moss curled and plain parsley but I'm going to grow another parsley this season Italian Giant as its new variety to me has anyone been growing this variety because I'm not sure if its a garnish or cooking variety it does say in the seed catalogue just says adds a distinctive flavour to cooking ?

any info much appreciated

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: parsley
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2021, 21:17 »
It's what I usually grow RW :)
It's a flatleaf parsley, but it's a strong growing variety, bit taller, leaves are a bit bigger - you get the picture  :D I cook with it and don't think it tastes any different...

rowlandwells

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2021, 10:56 »
it sounds like its going to be well worth growing  as I was a bit unsure how it would turn out compared to the other parsley we grow so happy days A many thanks Mum

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2021, 17:26 »
Italian Giant parsley is what we sell in the allotment shop in 50p packets (split down from a bigger Kings seeds pack) - never had any complaints!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Nobbie

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2021, 13:13 »
Surprised your parsley’s gone already. I planted out a pot of Lidl parsley earlier in the year and just had to nip out and check on it. It still seems fine. We had parsley in our salad the other night, but apparently it came from Waitrose :mad:

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2021, 15:43 »
I grow the flat leaf Italian variety too, and have found the insects love the flower heads. After several years, it grows all over the place like a weed, but is easy enough to move (or compost!) if somewhere it is not wanted.

I always move three or four plants to the unheated polytunnels for the Winter, where it continues to grow slowly and provides masses of leaves

Can certainly recommend it..  excellent pesto too!
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2021, 16:40 »
I tried growing parsley in a large container, next to one of my raised beds.  For some reason, that failed after growing awhile   :(, BUT . . .
Apparently one of the seeds accidentally fell into the raised bed.  That produced one of the largest parsley plants I've seen  :lol: (flat-leaved Italian), it produces all we need. 
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

jaydig

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2021, 16:54 »
It's what I usually grow RW :)
It's a flatleaf parsley, but it's a strong growing variety, bit taller, leaves are a bit bigger - you get the picture  :D I cook with it and don't think it tastes any different...
Me too. I have grown this one for the past few years and have a plant of it at home as well as on the plot. The one at home is against a wall at the side of the house and is still growing strong at the moment.

xx
Parsley

Started by Eblana on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 14, 2013, 23:00
by Eblana
xx
Parsley Help

Started by Elaine G on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post April 27, 2020, 18:40
by Vagabond
xx
Parsley

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 29, 2017, 16:59
by JayG
xx
Parsley Seed

Started by Fisherman on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 24, 2010, 10:36
by gillie

Page created in 0.274 seconds with 38 queries.