Weaning feisty kitty Milly,,,,,,update

• 9 Replies

Oliveview

Weaning feisty kitty Milly,,,,,,update
« on: October 19, 2011, 17:19 »
Feisty kitty Milly has reached her 4 week birthday, so today weaning starts.  I have read a few different ways of weaning Milly.  This morning she has had her milk and lunchtime too.  For her afternoon tea I ground down biscuits for kittens and mixed to a sloppy mix, I put it in her bottle and made the hole bigger. It didn't work so I put it in a dish and tried to get her to lap, she wouldn't lap, so I scooped up the mixture and Milly licked it from my fingers.  Am I doing the right thing?  Should I give her a bottle feed later on, or give her more slop?

Milly likes chasing Lola, Jumbo (fatboy) is scared of Milly!!  Lola loves her, but as I said before, Lola loves anyone!!

I have tried to get a photo, but a moving kitty is impossible!!
Pamela
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 07:57 by oliveview »

Oliveview

Re: Weaning feisty kitty Milly
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 21:36 »
Milly is eating from her dish.  I am grinding sian cat biscuit, leaving it a little lumpy and mixing it with milk.  She is eating most if it.  After a couple of days I will leave the biscuits a little bigger or would tinned meat be better? 
Now to get her to use a litter tray!! 

Any suggestions for that????

Pamela

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 21:38 »
sorry never had a kitten so not able to help with this  :(, perhaps you could send Cara a pm, she would know what is best  :unsure:
Staffies are softer than you think.

Springlands

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 21:49 »
Pamela - OH and I took on a very young kitten (we named her Smudge) many years ago after her mother had abandoned her following a dog attack.

The way I got her trained to use the litter tray was quite simple but time consuming. I kept a close eye on her and every time that she ate or drank anything I placed her in the litter tray for a few minutes and when she weed or pooed I praised her. Within a couple of days she started to go to the the tray on her own - but I still continued to praise her for a while just to reinforce the action. The only time she had an accident she looked so disgusted it was almost comical.  :)

Hope this is helpful.

Raven81

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 21:52 »
My kittens learned the litter tray themselves. 

They without their mum to show them but after being placed in it a few times after eating they soon worked out what to do - cats are naturally clean and like to dig and bury, tho you may have to check what to put in the tray, I'm oretty sure we used newspaper to start with instead of litter (but I may be remembering wrong).
The glass is neither half empty or half full - it is simply the incorrect size! Find a new glass!

Oliveview

Re: Weaning feisty kitty Milly,,,,,,update
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2011, 08:11 »
Well, we officially have a very clever kitty.  I put a litter tray with the proper cat litter in. This morning there were no pee's or poo's on the floor, only in the litter tray :lol:
Milly is eating 4 small meals a day, I will cut that to 3 meals next week. I am still mixing the biscuits with the kitty milk (it cost me £6 a packet, so not wasting it!!!) I am leaving the biscuit lumpier and Milly is coping with that. Such a clever kitty.  :)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2011, 08:29 »
how about an updated photo of the not so little now Milly  :D

Springlands

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2011, 08:42 »
Clever Milly - they are so much easier to train than dogs - they just follow their natural instincts. That kitty milk is certainly expensive.  :)

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2011, 09:25 »
Clever kitty.  :) Photo definitely in order.  :D
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

maxyboo

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2011, 14:02 »
Sounds like she's doing well. You've done a great job. I would stick with the biscuits and gradually increase size as you have done. I have never found cats need much litter training. It seems to be in their nature even without mum to show them how. They are marvellous creatures. I have been told hand reared kittens can be more feisty as they never had a mum to "tell  them off" when they annoy her. This cerainly applies to my cat Henry. He was a little terror when tiny, always biting and chewing me when he didn't get his own way. He still does it now! But I love him anyway.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 19:24 by maxyboo »

xx
Feisty kitty update- officially named

Started by Oliveview on Pets without Feathers

14 Replies
Last post October 16, 2011, 15:20
by Snap Dragon
xx
Feisty Kitten Milly and bigger kitten Miki (photos with luck)

14 Replies
Last post November 08, 2011, 22:46
by freebirdy
xx
Weaning baby rabbits

Started by chloe on Pets without Feathers

1 Replies
Last post December 13, 2010, 19:31
by Dreamer@45
xx
Wake up Kitty!

7 Replies
Last post June 14, 2012, 20:20
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 39 queries.