Egg Bound?

• 9 Replies

happychickens

Egg Bound?
« on: June 20, 2008, 10:46 »
My lovely hen "Ernie" has over the last few weeks laid 4 eggs with creases in one end of her egg then suddenly a few days ago she stopped laying, she is going to the nest box every morning but nothing.  Around her vent looks nomal but the skin around and about has a red tinge to it, she has been dusted for mites, louse and the hen house is cleaned out every few days and sprayed every few weeks - she is bright enough in herself its just a concern.  
She will be two years old in the autumn and is a lovely brown commoner garden hen - any ideas would be much appreciated :)

Jellyhead

Egg Bound?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 11:47 »
Has she lost any feathers on her breast? is she staying in the coop a lot? if so, could she be broody? :?
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!!

happychickens

Egg Bound?
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 14:08 »
Hi - No none of the hens have ever been broody, she is doing her usual routine, up, eat a small amount, go to nest box, sitting only about 15 mins, where usually she will sit for up to an hour, off the nest box, eat some more then off round the garden - she seems quieter in herself, but apart from no eggs for the last few days and the red skin no changes to her lifestyle :roll:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Egg Bound?
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 18:08 »
It might just be her age  :wink:   Keep an eye on her for any signs of distress - hunched up, sitting with her eyes closed a lot, or anything else out of her usual behaviour.

happychickens

Egg Bound
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2008, 15:25 »
Ernie seems brighter, has laid two eggs over the last two days and only a slight crease in saturdays, hopefully it is just her age and she is getting towards the end of her "lay an egg a day life", as long as she is happy I have no problem.  Thanks for the help, hopefully everything will be fine :)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Egg Bound?
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2008, 16:48 »
Make sure she gets plenty of calcium, Oyster shell, (limestone flour if you want), and greens.

happychickens

Egg Bound
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2008, 14:46 »
The hens have access to oyster shell, I have tried flint but they seem to totally disregard it, if there is anything else you know of please let me know.  They also wander through the garden that has grass etc incl dandielion leaves.  Ernies has always been a big egg layer, she has laid through both winters and I have not encouraged it with their housing\lighting\food etc, I understand that they usually have an egg laying life of around 2 years, which she is coming up to. :)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Egg Bound?
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2008, 17:40 »
If she's been such a good egg layer she may be short of calcium to make good shells, its's very common.  I'd add some limestone flour to her pellets just add a tablespoon full to about a kilo of pellets and shake them about to coat them.  

Keep an eye on here if she becomes sleepy or has a distended abdomen,  the area below the vent).

She will start to slow down her egg laying  but could still lay for a while yet .

happychickens

Egg Bound
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2008, 18:57 »
Thanks will go to local chicken shop and look to purchase some flour. :D

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Egg Bound?
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2008, 21:13 »
I think they mainly sell it for foals, so any store which sells Horse supplies should have it.

xx
Egg bound hen

Started by alexroyall85 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 23, 2019, 20:57
by snowdrops
xx
Is she egg bound?

Started by KNewbyRobson on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post January 02, 2009, 21:59
by matthew2riches
xx
possible egg bound

Started by karlooben on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 28, 2009, 20:20
by karlooben
xx
Egg bound

Started by T C on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post September 06, 2010, 21:18
by T C

Page created in 0.2 seconds with 38 queries.