Autumn fruiting raspberries

• 9 Replies

EssexPete

« on: June 26, 2018, 09:01 »
I have a patch of raspberries that I think are autumn fruiting, so I cut the canes to the ground early spring.
The canes are about 5ft atm, but no sign of flowers yet.
When do autumn fruiting rasps flower please?
Pic taken a couple of wees ago

Many thanks
Pete
P1020974.JPG

Mr Dog

Re: Autumn fruiting raspberries
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2018, 09:10 »
Some of mine are just showing the first signs of flower buds. My neighbour's plants - runners from mine planted last winter - already have a few ripe raspberries on them. Still plenty of time, I'm not expecting to harvest a significant number for at least a month.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2018, 09:50 »
Erm...Here, at least the Autumn fruiting are shorter plants as they flower and fruit in the same year, so I wonder? Anyhow, none of my Joan J (Autumn fruiting) have flowers yet  ;)

EssexPete

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2018, 09:56 »
Thanks both.
No sign of flower buds yet, so I'll keep my fingers crossed for the time being.
All the best
Pete

Goosegirl

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2018, 12:23 »
I have a patch of raspberries that I think are autumn fruiting, so I cut the canes to the ground early spring.
The canes are about 5ft atm, but no sign of flowers yet.
When do autumn fruiting rasps flower please?
Pic taken a couple of wees ago

Many thanks
Pete
I'm growing autumn ones for the first time and they're just starting to produce flower buds. Just a word of caution - weeing on them is not the done thing!  :lol:
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2018, 12:34 »
Erm...Here, at least the Autumn fruiting are shorter plants as they flower and fruit in the same year, so I wonder? Anyhow, none of my Joan J (Autumn fruiting) have flowers yet  ;)

Same here Mum.

Have you ever tried taking root cuttings, or are they not worth the hassle?

Two years ago they were fantastic, last year pretty good, but they don't last forever do they!

May get new stock in anyway, because all rasps production will be at The Turrets from the Autumn!

Mr Dog

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2018, 12:43 »

Same here Mum.

Have you ever tried taking root cuttings, or are they not worth the hassle?

Two years ago they were fantastic, last year pretty good, but they don't last forever do they!

May get new stock in anyway, because all rasps production will be at The Turrets from the Autumn!

It's pretty easy to produce new plants - they will throw up runners/suckers which can be dug up and planted to give extra plants. I usually hoe all the suckers off but if I want to propagate will leave them to dig up once the plants go dormant, around the end of October/November time. Over the last 3 years I've given away some 30-40 bare roots.

Mr Dog

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2018, 12:48 »

Some of mine (variety unknown) grow to over 5ft in height. My Joan J plants tend to reach 4 - 4 1/2ft

victoria park

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2018, 18:07 »
My Autumn raspberries are tall ones too. Last year they started harvesting 28 August, and went through almost to December. I started my Summer harvest a fortnight early this year due to the gorgeous weather, so I guess the Autumn ones will be early too, say 12 August. Not sure how this current drought will effect the crop quality wise. Think I'll give them a real soaking.
I always allow my raspberries to migrate, and then dig up the oldest ones, a bit like people treat strawberries and their runners. Fresh new plants, big crops. The only worries I've had with raspberries in the last few years is the now common September wet weather that has caused a bit of mould and loss of a weeks fruit, but they soon recover after a few days.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 18:09 by victoria park »

greenjay

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2018, 19:57 »
most of mine are tall except the suckers I moved in the spring. They are about 3 foot tall and the birds have already taken a few ripe berries.
I think I should probably have thinned out before know but still haven't!

xx
Autumn Fruiting Raspberries

Started by Glosterboy on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post November 14, 2013, 11:59
by LilacSandy
xx

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post October 06, 2019, 17:48
by londongardener
xx

Started by Deborah1 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post November 15, 2018, 14:33
by Yorkshire Lass
xx

Started by RJR_38 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 17, 2013, 21:20
by RJR_38

Page created in 0.319 seconds with 40 queries.