Tomatoes looking ill

• 4 Replies

cc

Tomatoes looking ill
« on: September 24, 2020, 12:19 »
The first 2 tomato plants I put in the garden room are clearly ill.
I am guessing a fungal infection. The others seem all right. Other than the yellow stuffer which is not producing as large a Tom as I would expect, a bit soft and far more content for a stuffer. In the picture you will see one good tomato the rest don't look like they will grow and very dull colour. Forgot name of I'll Tom's F1 hybrid girl's name. Forgot leaves are very dry, can actually be crumpled in my hand. Most curled upwards.
IMG_20200923_154625_8.jpg
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 12:33 by cc »

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Tomatoes looking ill
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2020, 12:28 »
Think I can see some botrytis mould there, which is almost inevitable under cover by this time of year, especially now it's turned colder and damper.

I'd take off all the fruit showing some colour and ripen them indoors - they won't grow any bigger now they have started to ripen.
Keep an eye on them in case any have picked up an infection of some sort.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

cc

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2020, 12:36 »
Think I can see some botrytis mould there, which is almost inevitable under cover by this time of year, especially now it's turned colder and damper.

I'd take off all the fruit showing some colour and ripen them indoors - they won't grow any bigger now they have started to ripen.
Keep an eye on them in case any have picked up an infection of some sort.
How about the ones that you think have a mould? Bin them. There is actually only one good Tom on both plants. Will persist till next year?
Thank you for your help

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2020, 14:17 »
Botrytis spores are everywhere, just waiting for the right conditions to attack plants (tomatoes often get infected where leaves are removed and the wound hasn't had time to heal properly.)

Cold and damp further weakens the already tired plants and encourages the fungus to get a hold.

Bin anything that looks mouldy, and carry out normal cleaning procedures of pots etc for next year (there's nothing else you can do with this year's plants.)

cc

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2020, 08:04 »
Thank you

xx
tomatoes !

Started by jay001 on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post August 04, 2014, 09:31
by AK9
xx
Help with my Little Tomatoes

Started by LeahJean on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 10, 2011, 23:36
by Paul Plots
xx
Tomatoes help !

Started by Marky on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 27, 2006, 22:17
by milkman
xx
Tomatoes...

Started by sazzy123 on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post May 10, 2009, 21:02
by HelenaK

Page created in 0.39 seconds with 36 queries.