Help! Is this a moult?

• 6 Replies

Carshay

Help! Is this a moult?
« on: February 22, 2012, 13:39 »
My cream legbar Jolene has a scruffy looking patch of feathers at the base of her tail on her back between the ends of her wings. I wondered if it was lice or something altho none of the others seem to have a problem. She is quite hard to catch but I gave it a go this morning and got hold of her tail but just got left with a handful of tail feathers. They came out very easily but showed no sign of any parasites. She is about 8-9 mths old and assuming she is pure bred has not yet laid as I have had no blue eggs but who knows if she is not pure. Could it be a moult? Any help gratefully received!

tstainesmoore

Re: Help! Is this a moult?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 18:11 »
Hey
      Depending on if you have a cockerel, it may just be that the cockerel has taken a shine to that particular hen and has simply worn away the feathers from treding, however the best way to check is to catch her and check under her feathers for any mite or lice. i would catch her and spray her anyway just in case, but it is more than likely just mounlting due to the time of year.

Hope that helps

Carshay

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 19:36 »
Hi thanks for that. No cockerel so will try to catch her tomorrow.  Isn't she a bit young to moult? There doesn't seem to be any other feather loss.

kegs

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 19:42 »
It could just be a partial moult.  Some of mine did that at a similar age and there seemed to be feathers all over the garden for a day or two, but no real feather loss on my chicken.  I've also got a 12 week old table bird who has lost quite a few tail feathers this week.  You could de-louse them anyway just to be sure (I use Frontline).

sassteve

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 22:28 »
I have very limited experience but I would suggest that the hen is a victim of the dominant hens persistant pecking (maybe?)  I have seen this in a few set ups where the lower ordered hens have a bald patch at the bottom of the back where the "bullies"  Have plucked them clean.

Just a thought.

viettaclark

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 23:58 »
I think if feathers are coming out with just a gentle pull she is definitely moulting.
My Speckledie had a partial moult this Winter and she's about 9 months.
Give her a little cat food or dried meal worms to build up her protein levels so she can make new feathers quickly.
On a related (hilarious) note: I was amazed to see the lawn covered in Speckledie feathers that looked like they'd been planted upright! The worms were dragging them down into the soil, quill first! They enjoy a protein meal too....... ::) :D

OpiumEater

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 15:40 »
Now that would have been a photo worth seeing  :wacko:
Alice - Australorp
Bernadette - Barnevelder
Dora - Silver Grey Dorking
LilliBet - Cream Leg Bar

xx
why do they have to moult

Started by karlooben on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post August 22, 2009, 20:30
by karlooben
xx
moult?

Started by magicfairy on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 18, 2011, 22:57
by Lindeggs
xx
After the moult

Started by ghost61 on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post October 15, 2014, 18:13
by barley
xx
The Big Moult

Started by francais on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 25, 2011, 01:46
by Lindeggs

Page created in 0.276 seconds with 35 queries.