Blight

• 11 Replies

blackberryjam

Blight
« on: May 21, 2013, 22:46 »
 I was told today that we have blight on our allotments and that it lasts for six years.
I was also told to put a bowl of water in my greenhouse Does this help stop blight.  :unsure:
Is there anything I can do to prevent it.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 22:53 by blackberryjam »

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Blight
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 22:59 »
You may have had blight in previous years but that doesn't mean you've got it now or will get it this year (I believe you would be the first reported case in the country if it were true.)

Forget the bowl of water, it's more likely to help cause a blight infection than prevent it by raising the humidity.

The usual at-risk plants in greenhouses are tomatoes as far as blight is concerned - they are protected to some extent by being shielded from the breezes which may carry the blight spores, although it's never guaranteed.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

shoozie

• Winner - Best Sunflower photo, 2014
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 23:10 »
JayG and mods, any chance a sticky about blight watch and info about blight can be posted sometime soon - its early I know, but it might put some folks mind at rest until we hit blight season? 

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 23:19 »
I'll have a word with the other mods tomorrow - I expect the link will be stickied when the first outbreak occurs (up to now there are no reported cases.)

http://www.potato.org.uk/node/910

blackberryjam

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 23:23 »
You may have had blight in previous years but that doesn't mean you've got it now or will get it this year (I believe you would be the first reported case in the country if it were true.)

Forget the bowl of water, it's more likely to help cause a blight infection than prevent it by raising the humidity.

The usual at-risk plants in greenhouses are tomatoes as far as blight is concerned - they are protected to some extent by being shielded from the breezes which may carry the blight spores, although it's never guaranteed.

Thanks JayG I thought it was a bit strange to put a bowl of water in the greenhouse, I did check the area my plot is in. everything is lush and green. Being new to growing vegetables I appreciate the advice.

shoozie

• Winner - Best Sunflower photo, 2014
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 23:37 »
I've never heard the bowl of water either blackberryjam ! 

Thanks JayG - I appreciate it's too early for folks to be thinking about blight, and might be worrying and confuse frost and wind damage with later problems like blight etc. 

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 23:41 »
It's a fact that tomatoes have many ways of showing their discomfort and inducing panic in their owners (usually via strange things happening to their leaves!)  :ohmy:

You can't make a greenhouse the perfect environment for everything you might want to grow - keeping it humid for cucumbers and plants susceptible to red spider mite is a good idea, but much less helpful for tomatoes.

blackberryjam

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2013, 00:35 »
I've not put water in the greenhouse, it becomes humid in there already. It's a good idea to have a sticky for blight.
Then newbies to growing there own, like me, will know more about it.  Strange that he said we had blight,but  as you say shoozie he may be getting it mixed up with something else. Would have thought the Council had mentioned it if we had.

Sorry if I've worried anyone by bringing this topic up.

Paul Plots

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2013, 02:01 »
I was told today that we have blight on our allotments and that it lasts for six years.
I was also told to put a bowl of water in my greenhouse Does this help stop blight.  :unsure:
Is there anything I can do to prevent it.

On warm days increase ventilation by opening a door or window.

"Blight" - no, that's not right. Far too early in the season for such a thing to hit.

Even "early blight" isn't this early......

I think there are probably few allotment sites in the country that haven't had blight at one time or other.

Worry less - enjoy more.  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2013, 06:16 »
It gets very cluttered if you sticky a topic for everything that's relevant for whatever time of year.

As JayG said, when it becomes relevant, it will no doubt become a link from banner at the head of the main forum page. There is a comprehensive thread on it in the FAQ section:

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=56717.0

In the meantime - don't panic, at least not until we get temperatures sustained at at least 10C overnight.

However, as this can be a serious issue, Ill sticky a link in GYO to this thread.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

blackberryjam

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2013, 07:57 »
Thanks DD I know what to look for now,
 I don't think there is blight, maybe it's a touch of the green eyed monster, or he just doesn't like newcomers. :)

Paul Plots

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2013, 03:03 »
Blight is banned this year... we need to have a blight-free year. The EEC are going to regulate it's occurance and the UK is to have its quota reduced.

PS Pigs will also be seen flying at this year's Goodwood Festival.

I think the sudden sunshine has gone to my head.  :wacko:

xx
Help - we have potato blight and tomato blight

Started by jlb664 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 09, 2010, 08:26
by Kristen
xx
Tom Blight

Started by Dopey113 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 04, 2012, 16:50
by crh75
xx
Blight ?

Started by NASH on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 17, 2009, 09:19
by NASH
xx
*******ing blight

Started by Alex 98 on Grow Your Own

39 Replies
Last post September 10, 2008, 21:08
by OpenSourceAgriculture

Page created in 0.316 seconds with 30 queries.