Pea moth

• 9 Replies

pigeonpie

Pea moth
« on: March 08, 2012, 22:21 »
So, every year I struggle with pea moth.
Hubbie says not to bother growing them but I can't resist the taste of fresh home grown peas and so that is not an option, and this year I have plans to expand the rows so I'm probably / hopefully going to grow at least 40 foot of double rows.  I try and grow them as early as possible but last year the pea moth arrived early and still managed to get in the last few weeks of pickings.

Has anyone got any tips to get rid of the little blighters?  (Preferably organic)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Pea moth
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 22:32 »
grow short peas, use enviromesh - it's the only other option if early sowing doesn't work  ::)

pigeonpie

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 22:37 »
Thanks Mum!

I was hoping that enviromesh would work.  Will have to give it a go and hope that we eliminate all the gaps - last year I still got whitefly on my brassicas despite spending hours checking it over and over to make sure it was securely fixed in place.

:mad:

Salmo

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 00:35 »
The pea moth lays its eggs on or near the base of the flower buds. Maggots hatch and burrow into the developing pods. They can only do this while the pod is small and soft. Once the pod develops it is too hard for the maggots to burrow their way in.

Once the maggot is inside the pod no chemical is available to gardeners will kill it. If you are going to spray the usual thing is to spray as the first flowers open and then again in about 10 days hoping to catch the maggots before they burrow in. Very hit or miss.

The mesh does not need to go on until the first hint of flower buds and can come off once all the pods have set.

In practice I leave the mesh on as a pigeon barrier. Peas are self pollinating so no worries about keeping bees out. Shorter varieties are easier to cover.

gazza975526570

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 08:40 »
Hi

Is there some certain times of the year they are more prolific - i suffered them bad last year.

Also do they attack mangetout? dont fancy the though of chewing down on maggots TBH!!!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 08:44 »
The adults hatch in June-July and feed on flowering peas (not sure about mange tout)

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/Profile.aspx?pid=660
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 09:17 »
This is why we keep advising to sow as early as possible to avoid the worst  ;)

With mangetout you are eating the pods, usually within days of flowering so that's usually before the peamoths can do any damage :)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2012, 09:37 »
It's just that you can't see what you're eating!  :ohmy: :lol:
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2012, 09:49 »
Probably because they grow to about 7' my sugarsnaps crop over quite a long period and the later ones definitely have had the occasional, um, unwelcome "extra" in them - secret is to stare straight ahead when eating them!  :lol:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2012, 09:55 »
sugarsnaps are eaten as nearly/fully filled pods so I'd expect them to get the moth ;)

Mangetout are eaten at flatpod stage, and I don't think there's time for the wrigglers to do any damage before you eat them  :lol:

xx
Pea moth

Started by Muddylou on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 20, 2009, 07:26
by Muddylou
xx
Pea moth?

Started by Salmo on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post May 16, 2011, 17:34
by Aunt Sally
xx
pea moth

Started by steven c on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 26, 2023, 21:17
by Hampshire Hog
xx
Pea Moth - net or no net???

Started by plotment26 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 09, 2009, 21:13
by plotment26

Page created in 0.334 seconds with 37 queries.