Cucumber Micro-Environment

• 12 Replies

Elcie

Cucumber Micro-Environment
« on: April 18, 2009, 17:31 »
I read on here last week sometime that cucumbers do not like dry heat but prefer to be humid and creating a mini-micro environment is a good idea.  So, I promptly went off and build a micro-environment in my greenhouse using plastic sheeting, canes, wire and pegs (all very technical!!)

This is them in there...

And then with the door pegged on (even I know I needed to get in there to water sometime!...

There is now a lot of condensation on the inside of the plastic so I'm guessing there is some humidity, but is it too much?  Should I leave a gap somewhere or is it better for them to have this closed environment at this stage?

Any help or advice greatly appreciated.  Even if it is to get them out of there!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Cucumber Micro-Environment
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 17:36 »
My hunch is that you don't want it too humid or you risk a fungal disease, so would increase ventilation - but I'd see what others say as I'm not experienced in cukes or greenhouses (so am really making this up as i go along  ::):tongue2:
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 17:39 »
I'd let a bit of air in there otherwise as Yokie said it will got too humid. I just drape some polythene loosely over my plants.

I'm just wondering how many cucumbers you plan on eating this year! 3 plants is more than enough for us - with loads of spares!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Elcie

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 18:40 »
I'm just wondering how many cucumbers you plan on eating this year! 3 plants is more than enough for us - with loads of spares!

:) I know!  Remember though it is my first year of growing anything from seed and I wasn't sure how successful I would be at it.  I am still at the stage of "keep some just in case that one dies"!  But it will get to the point where I give some away.

Thanks for the advice everyone, there is now a gap for air to circulate and reduce humidity.

Yabba

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009, 19:26 »
I am still at the stage of "keep some just in case that one dies"!

That's my mantra as well :D

¥

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2009, 19:36 »
I have always grown cucumbers and tomatoes together in the same small greenhouse, same conditions for both, and neither one any the worse for it as far as i can tell. I wouldn't worry too much about the humidity thing. You could just get one of those spray bottles and give them a misting once a day instead.
Rachael

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2009, 23:04 »
I put my cues at the far end of the greenhouse, and I don't open the vent at that end, so that they get more humidity.

I've known some people make a plastic "curtain" to segregate off the end of the greehouse for more humidity.

And I agree about some spare as cucumbers are prone to collar rot - I pot them on with the compost sloping away from the original planting depth.  I agree with DD that 3 plants is enough, we had two last year and that gave us plenty of Cues,

peanut

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2009, 10:01 »
I have always grown cucumbers and tomatoes together in the same small greenhouse, same conditions for both, and neither one any the worse for it as far as i can tell. I wouldn't worry too much about the humidity thing. You could just get one of those spray bottles and give them a misting once a day instead.

When you say together Rachael, do you mean side by side or just together in the same greenhouse/  Just I have always been told toms and cues are not good neighbours ???
Plot 11L Woodhall allotments, Chelmsford, Essex. 

It's against the law in Australia to fornicate with a kangaroo.................unless you are drunk!!!  Otherwise, it'd be disgusting :@

peterjf

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2009, 13:45 »
we grow our cucumbers by placing a few buckets of horse manure around the bottom of each plant, its very warm and humid , no messing with plastic sheeting etc , etc ,

one other thing about cucumbers , if you dont mind , if sharing the greenhouse with tomatoes , always sort out the cucumbers 1st , as you might pass on something  from your tomatoes ,

the old guys on our plot site tell me that cucumbers wake every morning and think of a way to die, very finicky plants , cucumbers,
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 23:19 by peterjf »

Elcie

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2009, 18:18 »
one other thing about cucumbers , if you dont mind , if sharing the greenhouse with tomatoes , always sort out the cucumbers 1st , as you might pass on something  from your tomatoes ,

That's interesting.  So I should water, repot etc cucumbers first then?

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2009, 19:49 »

When you say together Rachael, do you mean side by side or just together in the same greenhouse/  Just I have always been told toms and cues are not good neighbours ???
[/quote]

Just in the same greenhouse, although it is pretty small so they are never far apart. Having said that, it's a few years since I did indoor tomatoes, but after the last two years of blight I thought I'd better do some of each. After this discussion, I think I will keep the tomatoes and cucumbers on opposite sides of the greenhouse!

beestie-crawlies

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2009, 21:46 »
Nice lookin' plants.
Mine are just starting to poke through, although to be fair they are sat in the open on the patio, with everything else!
Now your grips too strong
You can't catch love with a net or a gun
Gotta keep faith that your path will change
Gotta keep faith that your luck will change tomorrow
'James'

peterjf

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2009, 23:23 »
grow your cucumbers at the farest end ,

away from the door ,

a 6ft wide greenhouse should takje 3 cucumber plants easy ,

then gently lay 1ft of well rotted manure around the base and water well,

say 5-6 gallons of water over the top of the manure

xx
Micro greens

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post September 11, 2010, 14:08
by New shoot
xx
Micro Greens

Started by Potiron on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 05, 2012, 14:02
by New shoot
xx
Micro greens ?

Started by Steveharford on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 24, 2014, 20:26
by Kajazy
xx
Micro greens - macro benefits?

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 13, 2018, 11:27
by theothermarg

Page created in 0.45 seconds with 36 queries.