Pea moth

• 3 Replies

Muddylou

• Experienced Member
Pea moth
« on: April 19, 2009, 22:43 »
Hello, I've planted Sugar Snap Peas for the first time, some have sprouted and are around 3" high (I've planted other peas to fill up the gaps). At the moment they are covered by a polythene cloche around 1 ft high.
           I have twigs for them to climb up already in place, I am on holiday from the 1st May until the 25th, my question is, could I leave them under the cloche until my return ( my mate will water them while I'm away) or should I build some sort of defence from the Pea Moth?
           I've read that they don't attack until the peas flower but I don't know when peas flower on average, thanks in advance.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Re: Pea moth
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 22:58 »
They dont need to be under cloches now, its warm enough for them to come out into the big wide world  :D Id harden them off and then fleece them up.  It will be far too warm in May for cloching

Forgot to add...pea moth is active in June, but as you are growing sugarsnap you may well be OK, as pea moth affects peas but not mange tout
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 23:03 by peapod »
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 06:04 »
One other point, you say you've put twigs in place for them to climb up. Peas don't climb as such. They cling to support, Make sure there's suffient to do so. They're not like runner beans that will shoot up a couple of canes.

(Pea moth does attack Mange Tout, but only if you forget to harvest them, you eat them before the grub develops and yes - you may well be eating the invisible eggs!).
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Muddylou

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 07:26 »
Thanks Peapod and DD, points taken, the twigs have small branches to cling to.
Looks like cloche off and fleece on.

xx
Pea moth

Started by pigeonpie on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 11, 2012, 09:55
by mumofstig
xx
pea moth

Started by Caretaker on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post April 16, 2009, 15:51
by mumofstig
xx
Pea moth?

Started by Salmo on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post May 16, 2011, 17:34
by Aunt Sally
xx
Pea Moth - net or no net???

Started by plotment26 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 09, 2009, 21:13
by plotment26

Page created in 0.333 seconds with 38 queries.