Were you tricked, treated, or just hiding yesterday?

• 12 Replies

JayG

• Global Moderator
Were you tricked, treated, or just hiding yesterday?
« on: November 01, 2017, 12:58 »
Bit undecided about this not exactly traditional British Halloween lark - on the one hand I don't exactly look forward to hearing unexpected knocks on my door after dark (especially as my doors have no windows or spy-holes), on the other hand when it has happened it's nearly always been quite sweet little kids who have gone to a great deal of trouble to get dressed up for the occasion, and nearly always with one or more parent in close attendance.

It's the only time of year I buy wrapped chocolates, and this year with no trick-or-treaters I get to share them with my friends eat them all myself!  :lol:

What do you reckon - sweet or just plain spooky?
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Goosegirl

Re: Were you tricked, treated, or just hiding yesterday?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2017, 13:44 »
If anyone decided to fly their broomsticks down our dark lane on a chilly night we would be more than happy to give them some choccies; however no-one does so my OH eats them!
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 13:50 »
When we had a family with young children along the terrace, their mother used to knock earlier in the week to ask if we minded her children paying us a visit. I didn't and they were rather sweet with their painted faces and weird clothes. This family has moved away now, so we rarely get people knocking on the off chance, which is how I prefer things tbh, as I don't buy sweets on the off-chance someone will call.

Hayleynotts

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2017, 14:26 »
For the past two years I've brought sweets and chocolates and no one has come.

This year we had so many I had to nip to the shop for more supplies! I'm pleased to say they were all externally well mannered, had put a lot of effort into their costumes and had parents in tow.

I'd placed two lit pumpkins outside and noticed the parents were telling their children to only knock on doors with pumpkins or decorations. I thought was a good way to let trick or treaters know who was willing to participate and who would rather be left in peace.

Mr Dog

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2017, 14:30 »
2nd year in a row we've had no one despite a hive of activity in the street. Maybe it's because in the past I've always asked for 'a trick'?  ::)

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2017, 15:51 »
I understand from my daughter that it is the done thing to only call where there is a lit pumpkin.....doesn't seem to apply round here!! I'm a bit of a bah humbug really. I don't like the fact that children are encouraged to knock on a strangers door. We put a polite note on the front door saying " there are no tricks or treats here...but enjoy your evening"

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2017, 17:12 »
Bah humbug here.
Mostly old folk round here who don't want it.

8doubles

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2017, 17:25 »
No extortion with menaces here for the past four years ! :)

snowdrops

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2017, 19:42 »
Just hiding here, although I did put some satsuma in a bag by the door & some coloured pencils that I bought for the job last year,but nobody called then or last night, not even our granddaughter but then I’d had her all day & obviously wore her out as she was fast asleep in bed by 5.45 her mummy said 😂
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Eblana

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2017, 19:53 »
When my children were young we always had a few calling but it has steadily grown over the past couple of years.  This year I made up 70 bags of sweets and had to make up ten more and used a large bowl of sweets as well and all the neighbours were the same and we didn't recognise most of the little darlings.  There was no parking on the road and cars were turning up with gangs of kids in them, we have no idea where they were coming from.😀😁😁

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2017, 01:38 »
We're a strictly lit pumpkin zone here and there are a lot of groups trick or treating too!
The 'Friends' group at our local park put on a Halloween treasure hunt event and the nipper loved it. Much better than knocking on doors for a few sweets.

al78

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2017, 16:10 »
I was away over Halloween so have no idea if anyone knocked on my door.

The road workers decided to play a trick on me on Wednesday, by shutting three out of four lanes on the M25, which resulted in Friday evening rush-hour conditions at 10pm and added another 45 minutes onto the seven hours I had been driving that day. Is there any major road in the UK that isn't being worked on at the moment? It is like the 19 sets of traffic light controlled road works I have had to deal with this year when cycling, and not one of them was there to improve the dreadful road surfaces in my area.  :mad:

Mum2mj

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2017, 16:21 »
Over this way the 'rule' is to only knock on doors with pumpkins/obvious decorations out.  We trick and treat 🎃👍

xx
Yesterday's Debacle

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

2 Replies
Last post July 04, 2021, 11:49
by mrs bouquet
xx
Yesterday was St Swithin's Day

Started by madcat on Chatting on the Plot

7 Replies
Last post July 19, 2018, 15:02
by Growster...
xx
Our Neighbour Died Yesterday

Started by John on Chatting on the Plot

14 Replies
Last post April 09, 2022, 07:27
by jezza
clip
Children's Show Entries yesterday

Started by sunshineband on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post September 02, 2018, 17:47
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 40 queries.