Compost all at once

• 6 Replies

Count Basil

Compost all at once
« on: July 02, 2019, 22:01 »
Hi, this is my first post. I am really curious about one aspect of making compost that I can't seem to pin down. The article on this site is great by the way! I have made 4 bays of pallet bins (approx 1 cubic metre+ ) and begun building heaps in a rather anarchic fashion with anything I could get my hands on, aware only of the need to balance green and brown (which translates for me as, make sure you add brown - since green seems to be so easy to come by). My question to the forum is how can i find a way to add all ingredients at once for the perfect pile as I mightn't manage 1mtr square in one go (should I bother?). Are there ways of storing ingredients for a small time until you can make a pile in one go? Now that I know about adding lime and activator I want to do it copy-book style! I'd also love to revisit the piles I have already started and amend those with lime and activator (although they look pretty OK I want them to be nutrient-appropriate). How can I do that? Ideas? Thanks.

Mintyboy

Re: Compost all at once
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2019, 09:36 »
I tend to use one of my bins as a collecting bin and throw into it everything I am going to compost, not bothering at this stage about greens and browns. When this bin is full to overflowing I then turn it into one of my other bins adding browns ,a sprinkling of rabbit poos, coffee grounds ( not sure if they make any difference, but they smell nice) and any water if the material is a bit dry. The bin is then sealed up and left to 'cook' until the bin is needed again, usually 6 to 9 months.
The resaulting compost may not be perfect, but it's good enough for using on the plot.

Count Basil

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019, 09:27 »
Thanks Mintyboy, that’s a good no-fuss approach which, after all the head scratching, is starting to look like my favourite. I might still add a few sprinklings of lime though as lots of places seem to advise that.

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2019, 11:44 »
Good morning Count Basil,
bung in a few paragraph breaks please, there is nothing more intimidating and difficult to read than a big block of text. 

And with that I'll say welcome

Cheers,  Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

cc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2019, 21:46 »
I keep a sweet jar on the toilet for peeing into as an activator. I have fair bit of horse manure so if I run out of greens I will add some of that.
A neighbour has rabbits and I just got a bag of bedding from her. A bit dry but if I add pee or horse manure it should be okay. I look to turn it regularly from one bin into another sometimes adding new stuff to get the consistency right. IE wet but not too wet.

Count Basil

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2019, 21:08 »
Good morning Count Basil,
bung in a few paragraph breaks please, there is nothing more intimidating and difficult to read than a big block of text. 

And with that I'll say welcome

Cheers,  Tony.

Thanks Tony, I see what you’re saying! It’s just a little over enthusiasm on my part but looking at my post now I can see what you mean. Great advice.

Dantheman

• Experienced Member
  • :) :) :)
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2019, 22:28 »
HI,
Get your self a good paper shredder and shred everything you can, ask your neighbors if they collect any. Make sure to rip off the plastic see thought bit on envelopes as they are a pain in the butt.
Add some in when you add greens works well.
Grow some comfrey roots - Bocking 14 Variety 10 for £6 on a well know selling site.  Chop them in a bucket or you could use your lawn mower to chop them.  It works as an activator too and you can make feed out of it too.

Make one of the compost heaps for horse poo if you can get hold of any. I've thousands of worms in the poo.

Hope this
Dear God, Please can you stop the wind and rain and bring on the nice weather. Amen

clip
compost -

Started by jeannie on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post March 18, 2015, 09:39
by jeannie
xx
there's a rat in the compost what am I going to do?

Started by johnkelly on General Gardening

39 Replies
Last post January 16, 2008, 08:36
by Grasshopper
xx
compost

Started by bigandy on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post August 25, 2011, 13:50
by mumofstig
question
Ivy in compost

Started by kennystevens on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post May 22, 2009, 05:44
by oldbean

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 45 queries.