fig tree in poly tunnel

• 5 Replies

3759allen

fig tree in poly tunnel
« on: November 05, 2016, 21:44 »
i am hoping to plant a fig tree in my poly tunnel over winter. i'm hoping to train it in half an arch shape at one end.

i think i need to restrict the roots so to keep the size of the tree suitable for my tunnel. i was thinking of sinking a small water tank from my loft that used to feed the central heating, i would guess about 30l- 40l.

would this be large enough for the tree to grow large enough to produce fruit and equally small enough to restrict the size of the tree?

SusieB

• Experienced Member
Re: fig tree in poly tunnel
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2016, 16:06 »
My outdoor fig is in a 50 x 55 cm box made from stone slabs - but with no bottom.
Indoor fig is in 50 x 50 x50cm root control bag.
Both seem fine.  People grow them in half barrels.
I've not really answered your question, but I'm not really sure how big 30litre pots are.

I find figs root easily, if you wanted to experiment with a couple of different containers.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2016, 22:08 »
Obviously, make sure you add drainage holes to any container you devise.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

ghost61

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2016, 09:09 »
Why in a polytunnel?  Not sure that the air quality would be right - too much moisture?  Figs grow fine outside - I have four!

3759allen

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2016, 09:31 »
thanks for all the replys.

the container i was thinking is roughly 30cm x 35cm x 40cm.

my main concern regarding the size was that  i want to restrict the growing space for the roots to try and restrict the growth of the tree so it doesn't get out of hand. looking for a smaller tree that will still produce fruit. i'm sure people have said it is best to restrict their roots to get a better crop anyway. obviously i know you restrict the growth of the tree by pruning.

i don't think air quality will be a problem, it's not that moist in there (probably on the dry side if anything). i have the doors at either end open all the time so air can circulate.

i know they do fine outside, i will be planting one outside too (was thinking of still restricting the roots but not by as much as the size of the tree won't be so important).

the reasons for putting one in the tunnel is a) hopefully i will get an earlier and longer crop. b) i have more space in the tunnel than outside, and would rather use the space outside for other fruit that wouldn't be as suited to the tunnel.

SusieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2016, 17:13 »
Supposedly you may manage two crops a year in the polytunnel.  And there's more choice of varieties for indoor growing.

xx
poly tunnel

Started by Thompson24 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 22, 2009, 13:41
by shay
xx
Poly tunnel

Started by carolie on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 05, 2010, 21:47
by TheSpartacat
xx
poly tunnel

Started by kitch on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post March 09, 2010, 13:36
by BostonInbred
xx
poly tunnel help

Started by bailey on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 23, 2008, 20:19
by vegmandan

Page created in 0.306 seconds with 38 queries.