Perilla de nankin - invasive?

• 6 Replies

barbarella

• Experienced Member
Perilla de nankin - invasive?
« on: May 05, 2011, 18:29 »
I bought some Perilla de Nankin seeds this year as it looked like a pretty dot plant with purple foliage and I hadn't come across it before.  It germinated well and I have about 30 little plants in trays hardening off.  But I had a gardening friend round today who threw up her hands in horror when she saw the plant label and said under no circumstances would she have it in her garden as it is so invasive - she had it once and said it spreads by roots and self-seeding and it is very difficult to get rid of, particularly if it gets in your lawn. 

I have looked on the internet and can't find anything about this, but I am loath to go against her advice.  Just wanted to check if anyone else has had experience with this plant - bad or good - I would love to know.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Perilla de nankin - invasive?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 18:55 »
wikipedia:
Ecology and naturalization: Perilla frutescens has been widely naturalized in the United States and part of Canada, from Texas and Florida north to Connecticut and into Ontario, and west to Nebraska. It can be weedy or invasive in some of these regions.[1]

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 19:48 »
I don't know the plant but if it's the same as this one here, it doesn't seem to be too bad - but the wikipaedia quote is interesting.

http://www.shootgardening.co.uk/plant/perilla-frutescens-de-nankin
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

barbarella

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 20:48 »
I have seen that about perilla frutescens being invasive, but can't see anything about 'de nankin' - maybe a cultivar which doesn't have the same habit?  I have seen the same stuff as Yorkie in the seed catalogues - looks quite innocent doesn't it, but my friend Janice was adamant that it isn't.

As I am member of the RHS I sent them an email asking the same thing, so maybe I will get an definitive answer - I will post it here, promise.

barbarella

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 10:42 »
I have just had a very prompt email reply from the RHS as follows:

Many thanks for your enquiry.  I do not believe this plant to be invasive and in any case it is unlikely it would survive winter cold outdoors.  Your chum appears to be in error.

I am going to have a go, but just to be on the safe side I will remove any seeds heads as soon as they appear!  Will post to say how it went.

Tohmahtae

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2011, 07:31 »
The RHS are correct, we have it in our garden and it's never been a problem. The link Yorkie posted is the same cultivar you have.

barbarella

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2011, 15:11 »
Thanks Tohmahtae, that's reassuring  :)

clip
Invasive Bamboo

Started by Carolyn Thorne on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post December 20, 2020, 22:28
by Subversive_plot
xx
eradicating invasive pulmonaria

Started by Janeymiddlewife on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post March 05, 2008, 22:29
by Janeymiddlewife
xx
Trying to find the name of an invasive plant

Started by Patricia7455 on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post June 12, 2009, 15:07
by bradleyt
xx
Killing off invasive plants.

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post March 23, 2019, 21:01
by snowdrops

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 39 queries.