Lawn Problems - over feeding ?

• 6 Replies

busterthehorse

« on: July 23, 2008, 02:08 »
A mate and myself recently laid a lawn in his back garden. Until recently it was a fantastic looking lawn; very green and dense. However, recently many patches around the garden have turned yellow and look like straw, but are still well rooted in the ground. I've lifted the turf on some patches to see if there are any obvious bugs present, but there are non.

He's on holiday at the moment, and I'm looking after his house while him and his wife and kids are on holiday ! In his shed (yes, I've been creeping round his shed!) I've found a lawn feeding pack, that will cover the area of a tennis court ... It's nearly empty ... his garden is about the size of a quarter tennis court ...

My question is this ... What are the symptoms of over feeding a lawn ? could this be what has happened ? And, what should we do next to get the lawn back to what it was ?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 07:14 »
I'm not a lawn expert, bit I'd have thought that you wouldn't feed a lawn until the turf had rooted. Little point as the roots will have not have established themselves to take advantage of this.

It could well be that the turf has been 'scorched' by over feeding.

The only thing I can suggest is that you keep up the rain dances, or keep it well watered to dilute the possible over feeding & to encourage to roots to get established.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

busterthehorse

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 02:23 »
The problem was a rapid infestation of moss ... It more or less happened within days and killed much of the grass on the lawn. I think the lawn was overfed, but that led to the moss liking the conditions even more. The moss was hiding very effectively as well, lying very thinly under the straw like grass. I've scarified the lawn and got rid of all the moss (and most of the grass, or what was left of it) Now, we will have to start again ...

lincspoacher

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 00:39 »
if you apply feed weed and moss killer at more than the usual sort of rate (about 4 oz/sq yard) you will totally fry the grass.. Then you will have to JCB off the top 6 inches and dump it in a quarry somewhere, then water it every day for about a month to wash out the  chemicals, make the level back up with fresh topsoil and start again with grass seed or turf. I kid you not..........

icornes

Re: Lawn Problems - over feeding ?
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 11:07 »
Busterthehorse.  Did you eventually manage to find a replacement tine cylinder for your M1P-ZP-300A scarifier?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 11:12 »
this post is almost three years old and nothing to do with scarifiers so hopefully they sorted themselves out.
Hello and welcome by the way, why not nip over to our welcome section and introduce yourself.
Staffies are softer than you think.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 11:13 »
Busterthehorse.  Did you eventually manage to find a replacement tine cylinder for your M1P-ZP-300A scarifier?

:unsure:

Busterthehorse has not posted for the best part of 2 years so I don't think you are very likely to get a reply!
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
feeding lawn

Started by pwgun on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post April 19, 2007, 21:01
by Little Miss Muffet
xx
Lawn problems

Started by KT on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post August 03, 2009, 20:40
by Yorkie
xx
Lawn problems

Started by lfcevans on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post May 07, 2011, 18:03
by lfcevans
xx
lawn help

Started by dmg on General Gardening

9 Replies
Last post March 16, 2014, 10:52
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 34 queries.