damm it!

• 10 Replies

catweazle

• Experienced Member
damm it!
« on: January 29, 2012, 21:13 »
digging the planting holes for my mini orchard, lo and behold one spit down i hit the water table :mad:

so i decide to sink a wheelie bin with holes in it as a sump, 5 hours later there's 4 foot of water in it! i bailed it out and cut a dranage ditch to it to try to drain abit more of the plot.

2 hours later there's another 4 foot of water in the bin! and if anything the water table seams to be rising.

i take it this area is ano go for apple and plum trees?  :(

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: damm it!
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 21:15 »
Rice ? :(

TheSpartacat

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 22:23 »
Sorry to hear that catweazle. Are you on an allotment site or is this in your garden? If it's a site you might all be suffering similar issues. There might be some advice from neighbours to be had.

I don't think fruit trees want to be waterlogged. Have you had a lot of rainfall lately? The lower part of my plot has this issue in Winter but it eventually drains by Spring, and the neighbouring plots who have the same drainage as me grow fruit trees ok

catweazle

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 07:45 »
thank you for the answers

im on an alotment site on a steep hill. the water is running down the hill to me and a handfull of other plots (i knew the far end had this problem but not my end). its odd that the plots that get it are quite spread out along the down hill edge but not all together.

oh, and yes we've had a lot of rain

many thanks CW

gobs

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 09:14 »
They might drain it for you, you never know. :lol:

As you describe it, might have the topsoil been removed from the bottom plots up to what is now a hill at some time in the past? ;)

Could you buy some in large quantity?
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 09:25 »
If you have some of those large blue barrels, you could cut the bottom out and sink it about a foot l inot the soil and plant your trees that way, at least untl you get things drained/ they drain them selves.

Hope that helps
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

TheSpartacat

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 11:03 »
Catweazle, it sounds a very similar set up to my plot, I'm situated at the bottom of a hill too... I only noticed it this time last year when i was digging in late Winter on a patch that had been covered with plastic- the soil look nice and dry for digging, until i got down one foot, and then i hit an ever refilling well!!!!
So, on a positive note, on my plot, it doesn't last all year round.
(I try to think positively, and imagine that all the nutrients from the soil further up the hill comes down to my plot... my soil is actually in very good heart and texture whereas the top of the hill is cursed with rock hard clay.)

We've dug a drainage ditch at the bottom of all the plots, it drains out into the council drains. Maybe you could look at a similar set up if you haven't already got one.
Hopefully (my fingers are crossed) you'll find that its a seasonal issue and not as bad as it looks now.

Great idea from Sunshineband- my aunt has hers on similar raised 'islands' edged by stone walls because her garden gets badly waterlogged. It looks very pretty!!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 11:04 by TheSpartacat »

ilan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 17:52 »
Have you brought the trees yet ? I live next door to a commercial apple orchard and have planted our own mini orchard as well , forget the traditional method of planting the trees but use year old maidens and simply make a split in the soil with the spade hand full of bone meal and plant this should be above the water table and the tree roots will stay in soil they are happy with . our table is about 12 ins down this time of the year and falls by 12 -18 ins in summer. The big problem is the tree roots run very close to the surface so you cannot crop near to them
This is the first age that has ever paid much attention to the future which is ironic since we may not have one !(Arthur c Clarke)

catweazle

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2012, 20:16 »
thanks for the answers

ilan ive allready payed for the trees their coming first week of march

one more question; would winter only waterlogging  kill apples on M26 rootstock and plums on pixy root stock?

many many thanks CW

TheSpartacat

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2012, 01:40 »
If the roots are sitting in water all winter, it could very easily kill either if you don't plant it on some kind of mound. Certainly it would affect the tree health. Keep an eye on your water table over the next few weeks and see what happens to it, but i would certainly plant on a mound, or try sunshinebands method to be on the safe side.
Perhaps others would have more suggestions.

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2012, 19:03 »
Are there any trees growing nearby? If other trees can survive yours might too.

Page created in 0.31 seconds with 35 queries.