Bubble wrap

• 6 Replies

gremlin

• Experienced Member
Bubble wrap
« on: March 28, 2015, 18:32 »
(I have done a quick search on "bubble wrap" before asking)

This year's "cunning plan" ;) is to dedicate one small greenhouse entirely to cucumbers.  I will bubble wrap the inside of the g/h mainly to create the diffuse light needed, as well as keep it warmer.   Last year I used fleece for shading which was OK, but the vines didn't really get going until the temp got up to 30 deg C. 

I am not sure whether 10mm bubbles might be better than 20mm bubbles, although the larger bubbles are meant to be better for insulation. 

Any advice please ?
Sometimes my plants grow despite, not because of, what I do to them.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Bubble wrap
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 19:01 »
I have found the smaller bubble wrap easier to manage somehow, and it certainly provides good effective insulation in the winter, with sufficient light transmission for leaves of plants to grow strongly.

I must admit I have never thought of leaving it in place, as even at this time in the year the temperature can get over 30 degC on a sunny day unless I open the door
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 20:57 »
I shaded with green debris netting in the greenhouse which was just right for the chillis and other hottie plants. 
My cues were very sheltered outside and had solid afternnon shade being on a East facing wall, they did very well.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2015, 10:47 »
Last year I used a combination of what I had 'lying around' - large and small bubble wrap. and a couple of thin sheets of polystyrene ex-packing to provide more effective blocking where needed.

Used it for the same purpose as Gremlin, although I also had tomatoes and other plants in there so had to be quite selective where I deployed it all.

Worked a treat though - turned out to be the first year I'd managed to avoid overcooking my cukes!
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

gremlin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2015, 16:01 »
Thanks for the thoughts.  10mm bubbles  it is

The last couple of years I have tried adding cucumbers with the tomatoes.   Without shade the cucumbers scorch, and without heat they didn't grow fast. 

The ideal system for my toms is to leave the g/h doors and windows permanently open from about June to September, only closing them in about September to speed up  ripening. I use a bit of shade netting when the plants are young.  So I have full sun, dry atmosphere and not over hot.

I think cucs need bright but not direct sun, warmer and more humid than toms.      We will see..........

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2015, 16:31 »
Worht putting the Cucumbers are the "far end" IMHO, and then if you like you can errect a screen (plastic sheet or similar) separating them from the Toms so the Cues have more heat / humidity.

That said, although mine are at the far end (and thus less air from open door etc.) I don't separate them with a barrier, but I also don't open [much/at all] the roof final vent at the end of the greenhouse where they are

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2015, 16:58 »
Last year mine were shaded by a rampant jasmine plant, but I shall have to break out the debris netting this year as I have pruned it hard : it was poking out of the roof  :lol:

Plus the grape vine had a heavy prune as its supports came to pieces, so some cucumber shade will be even more essential I feel..

The 'far end' is probably the way forward, as Kristen described  :D

xx
To bubble wrap or not to bubble wrap

Started by Yana on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

16 Replies
Last post April 16, 2012, 18:33
by Yana
xx
Bubble wrap

Started by Caretaker on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

6 Replies
Last post May 17, 2012, 23:14
by rcf100
xx
Bubble wrap

Started by hiccup on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

4 Replies
Last post October 24, 2015, 17:39
by sunshineband
xx
Bubble wrap

Started by taytors on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

10 Replies
Last post May 24, 2013, 21:36
by Headgardener22

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 38 queries.