growing carrots in pots

• 5 Replies

alancas

• Experienced Member
growing carrots in pots
« on: July 25, 2020, 10:59 »
any body give info on growing carrots etc in pot eg what growing mediu to use size of pots etc,thanks in advance

Title edited for search purposes
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 14:25 by mumofstig »

Growster...

Re: growing in pots
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2020, 14:19 »
Alan, we grow carrots in plastic buckets with the bottoms drilled out. They stand in watering trays on a shelf, about 2ft off the ground to deter carrot fly.

I use half bought compost, and half own compost, sometimes with a bit of garden soil, to make some sort of balance.

I rarely feed them, but they do need regular watering! They usually end up about the size of an average thumb, but we take them much earlier than that, as just a couple chopped up make a salad just fabulous!

I've done this for several years, and not seen a fly anywhere!

Mr Dog

Re: growing carrots in pots
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2020, 15:58 »
Some videos can be found here https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCPrZIwOWNvem_IAuGgmIWlg I've essentially been using the same method for a quire a few years although with scatter, rather than template, sowing and have found Nantes carrots to work particularly well - trying with Sweet Candle this year.

TonyB.

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2020, 19:02 »
I use old recycling boxes to grow early carrots even earlier. The sort that says protect early sowings with cloches. these are in the greenhouse. Soil plus a bit of compost. When greenhouse is needed for "greehouse" plants they come into the open. Get carrots early.

hasbeans

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2020, 07:26 »
I've used an old wheelie toolbox to grow chantenay in with some success, easy to move when they get in the way too!  I'm trying the HGV guys way this year that MR Dog uses this year but so far I think I've not quite got it right, probably underwatering the flower buckets as all I've had so far is carrots gone to seed.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 07:30 by hasbeans »

Mr Dog

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2020, 08:50 »
I've used an old wheelie toolbox to grow chantenay in with some success, easy to move when they get in the way too!  I'm trying the HGV guys way this year that MR Dog uses this year but so far I think I've not quite got it right, probably underwatering the flower buckets as all I've had so far is carrots gone to seed.

Watering can be an issue in pots, particularly at seedling stage. I use a fine sprayer to keep the top of the compost moist but do the main watering from below ie stand in a tray/saucer of water. As well as helping not to damage the seedlings (or at least my theory is that) it encourages the roots to head downwards and produce longer carrots.

xx
growing carrots in pots and raise bed

Started by spudlover on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post March 03, 2013, 01:09
by samnorfolk
xx
growing carrots in paper pots

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post March 05, 2012, 07:27
by rowlandwells
xx
carrots in pots

Started by DadBear on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 30, 2007, 16:07
by DadBear
xx
Carrots for pots

Started by penance on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 07, 2009, 13:43
by Stripey_cat

Page created in 0.473 seconds with 44 queries.