Honda HC-18 cylinder mower

• 4 Replies

WG.

« on: May 02, 2007, 20:15 »
I have one of these fine machines and I keep threatening to give it a lawn which can show it to its full potential.

Only problem I have with it is keeping it sharp and set properly to give a nice finish.   The local ironmonger charges £60(!!) to sharpen / set it & it seems to need it every year.

Am I being ripped off ???

Bigbadfrankie

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007, 21:22 »
yes :lol:  you should be able to adjust the knife to the rotating blade so that it just rubs and stays sharp.
always have a target
and an objective.

WG.

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2007, 21:25 »
Quote from: "Bigbadfrankie"
yes :lol:  you should be able to adjust the knife to the rotating blade so that it just rubs and stays sharp.
Now that I know my mechanical incompetence is costing so much, I'll try to do something about it!   :oops:

Thanks BBF, you will note that I didn't exactly quote you above ...

Gwiz

Re: Honda HC-18 cylinder mower
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2007, 06:08 »
Quote from: "whisky_golf"
I have one of these fine machines and I keep threatening to give it a lawn which can show it to its full potential.

Only problem I have with it is keeping it sharp and set properly to give a nice finish.   The local ironmonger charges £60(!!) to sharpen / set it & it seems to need it every year.

Am I being ripped off ???

beleive me, £60 is dirt cheap to sharpen a cylinder mower providing, of course, it's being done properly. ( i have been in the trade for quite a few years now ) we are looking to buy a new cylinder grinder for the workshop, the cost of which would be about twenty two thousand, so you can imagine that its not something that is fitted onto a black and decker drill.  :lol:
the revolving cylinder should, as bbf says, just kiss the bottom blade. i always set them up so that they cut paper like scissors, and that can only be done if they have been presision ground. :D

Bigbadfrankie

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007, 21:33 »
I dressed mine with a angle grinder :lol:  As gwizz says tool sharpening equipment is very expensive.

xx
17"Webb cylinder mower

Started by kenny199 on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post July 09, 2011, 19:14
by R Tallentire
xx
Honda HC 16 Mower.

Started by Fen on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post September 26, 2012, 21:54
by Bigbadfrankie
xx
Honda mower grass collector

Started by si-mate on Equipment Shed

17 Replies
Last post August 26, 2008, 12:01
by si-mate
xx
Honda fg110, Honda fg201 & the Mantis 4 stroke queries. (201 bought now)

Started by noidea on Equipment Shed

15 Replies
Last post April 09, 2009, 23:28
by Larkshall

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 35 queries.