storing our veg in winter, any ideas.

• 6 Replies

sam on lewis

storing our veg in winter, any ideas.
« on: August 21, 2009, 12:50 »
We have a goodly amount of carrots, swedes, leeks, to store for winter, it isn't really possible to leave them in the ground or to clamp them as the winds up here will get up to Storm Force regularly, so we need some ideas for storing in sheds and a caravan for the winter period. We put the carrots into sand last year and they started sprouting again. The sand was very dry. Any help would be appreciated.

:D

Sam

Greengirl

• Experienced Member
Re: storing our veg in winter, any ideas.
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 16:51 »
Don't know about the carrots & swedes if dry sand doesn't work, but leeks can be lifted & heeled in somewhere more sheltered perhaps, but outside  & they will keep for ages.

Ivor Backache

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 16:56 »
I have made a number of sacks from an end of roll of black hessian type material, to store potatoes but I shall use  these with dry sawdust to store carrots. Cardboard boxes should work in the same way and can be stacked.

Beejay

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 08:25 »
Never tried it, but I have read that you use moist sand so the root veg don't dry out :blink:
The answer lies in what you put into the ground!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 08:35 »
Think you're right, if you read up, all storage medium is quoted as cool and damp.

Here's a good article on storing carrots:

http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/edible_gardening_plus/50989

Wouldn't have thought you'd have to do anything with the leeks as they are extremely hardy, unless you want some nearer to home, in which case bring a batch at a time & heel them in, as already suggested.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Salmo

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 10:36 »
What comes out in the suite 101 article is that you should wait until Autumn when the soil has cooled down before storing. I am sure that if you store them now they will continue to grow.

One interesting point was leaving the carrots to dry in the sun to kill hair roots and induce dormancy. Never heard of that but I can see the logic.

For storage short term the carrot packers reckon that they store best washed, bagged and in the refridgerator. This apparently stops the bacteria in the soil causing rot.

I have light soil and my carrots stay in the ground slightly earthed up or with a covering of whatever is to hand. Last year the cut off asparagus tops did the job.

sam on lewis

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2009, 15:47 »
 :D

Thanks everyone for responding, because we don't get frost on the Isle of Lewis we can leave our carrots in the ground, our neighbour was digging carrots up at the end of feb last year !!

We put our spuds in thin paper sacks in our caravan last year (not in use in winter) they seemed to do ok, but this year we have lots more.

The swedes are doing great and it's those, cabbage and parsnips we are most concerned about.

Cheers,

Sam

xx
Recommendations wanted for onions for storing for use over the winter

Started by Snoop on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 31, 2010, 07:08
by zazen999
xx
winter kill temperatures of winter-hardy vegetables

Started by Subversive_plot on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post November 28, 2022, 11:40
by cc
xx
What can be sown now that can over winter or be harvested in winter?

Started by Y.E.A.H on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 18, 2011, 13:29
by Y.E.A.H
xx
Storing Oca

Started by jb on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post December 09, 2008, 19:30
by neal

Page created in 0.323 seconds with 39 queries.