Growing carrots in a greenhouse?

• 4 Replies

Goosegirl

Growing carrots in a greenhouse?
« on: June 07, 2015, 12:53 »
Having had no success growing them outside (snails or ?) can I grow them in my GH bed or will the temps be too hot?
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Snoop

Re: Growing carrots in a greenhouse?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2015, 14:32 »
Last year I grew carrots successfully outdoors in the temps we have here in the summer: 44 ºC in the shade during the daytime though cool at night. The carrots were out in beds exposed to the sun but of course any breeze would have helped the leaves stay a bit cooler than they would in a greenhouse. Plus, they needed a heck of a lot of water: when temps were at their hottest, I was watering them 14 litres per day per square metre.

What temperature does it get up to in your greenhouse? If it's very well ventilated and doesn't get too hot, and if you can provide shade and plenty of water, it might be worth a try if you don't need the space for anything else.

Eblana

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2015, 22:38 »
I have had great success with carrots in the PT (carrot root fly destroyed all my outdoor ones last year).  You just need to keep an eye on watering.

3759allen

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2015, 10:20 »
i did try some last year and they done well. i was hoping to squeeze 2 crops of baby carrots but they didn't get as big as quick as i thought so imo a bit of a waste of space. but they did produce so if it suits you i don't see a problem. prob would have been better to start earlier so you may not have to deal with as much of the high summer temps.

lettice

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2015, 11:52 »
I have grown carrots successfully for years.
I always grow them in pots outside, plant first sowings in April.
Grow Amsterdam Forcing and Nantes.
I always put a small wrap around the top of the container to keep the carrot fly out (not that I've really ever suffered them), but more to stop my or my neighbours cats having a scratch in there.
I like to eat them like baby carrots.
I do thin them out and replant on in other pots, works well.
I will sow a lot more later this month, same way ready for Autumn pickings.
Here is one of my carrot containers today and some of my carrots last summer.

2015-06-13 11.26.49.jpg
carrots.jpg
carrots2.jpg
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 12:02 by lettice »

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 38 queries.