Which polytunnel?

• 5 Replies

kranser

Which polytunnel?
« on: February 09, 2011, 16:28 »
Hi,

I'm based in Norfolk.

I have an allotment and I would like to install a polytunnel on it (one that you can stand up in).
I not too practable - so building one from scratch is probably out of the question. However, one that is relatively cheap would be good - as long as it can withstand hash Norfolk winds.

Does anyone have any recomendations? For a comand that sells fair priced good quality, strong polytunnel?

Thanks,
Steve.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Which polytunnel?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 16:56 »
I'm sorry but in my experience, you cannot get a cheap polytunnel that will stand up to strong winds :(

welcome to the forum though  :)

kranser

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 17:27 »
Thanks for the welcome mumofstig,

So how much should I be looking at for a 10ft x 10ft polytunnel then?

Thanks,
Steve.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 17:45 »
I think that First Tunnels have a good reputation (my greenhouses are glass, bought second-hand off eBay for not-a-lot ...).

First Tunnels seem to have plenty of additional bracing, and foot-plate, options - plus options for a vent screen on one side (which i think is a good idea), and staging which becomes part of the structure (you need to provide "slatting" for the work surface I think)

http://www.firsttunnels.co.uk/polytunnel.asp?cbowidth=10

kranser

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 17:12 »
Thanks Kristen.

On the allotment, some people have rectuangular woodern walk-in frames covered with netting. I was wondering whether I could cover such a structure with polyphene to make a 'cheep' poly tunnel? Would that work? I guess if I nailed the cover to the wood, then the cover would split unless I protected the areas around where I nailed with extra strong reinforcing plastic rings or something?

Steve.

Yabba

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 08:20 »
Ours are nailed to the frame with a batten, they haven't ripped yet and we take them off every year.

Not the worlds best picture ( can get a better one later today if you like ), but should give the general idea :

¥

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 39 queries.