Why do horses whinney?

• 3 Replies

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
Why do horses whinney?
« on: April 22, 2012, 13:31 »
Hello horsey people, I'm hoping you can answer my question because just now one of the horses that are kept at our allotments has just let out what I would describe as more of a screaming whinney than a happy sounding one :ohmy:
He was pulling a romany caravan and his tongue was lolling out one side of his mouth as he was being led. 

Are my concerns unfounded?  He seems happy enough now that he'sin his passivity though.

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
Re: Why do horses whinney?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 14:17 »
More than likely shouting to a friend/field companion, they are very social animals. The tongue hanging out is probably just a habit.

bertiewhite

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 13:29 »
Ours make a few subtley different whinneys really. The first & most obvious is the usual "greeting" one to each other if they have been seperated briefly. The second is calling out to each other when not visually present. Ours can usually be heard throughout a circular 1.5 mile hack route if one is taken out without the other. Another is similar to the greeting but to greet a human and I'm sure it's different than to each other being more of a grunt. The other one I hear all the time is a warning to another horse to "respect their space" and is more of a squeal really. I'm sure there are countless more just like the many meaows a cat makes.

BussinSpain

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 09:58 »
if he was pulling and being lead, and his tongue was hanging out, the tongue could have been pinched by the bit and he screamed in pain!
Now what shall I do today?

xx
My ponies/horses

Started by mychance on Pets without Feathers

17 Replies
Last post April 25, 2011, 13:44
by tosca100
xx
4 dogs, 4 horses

Started by white-blazes on Pets without Feathers

6 Replies
Last post November 07, 2010, 18:59
by white-blazes

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 38 queries.