New strawberry patch

• 4 Replies

niclala

New strawberry patch
« on: April 18, 2007, 10:36 »
I've just planted 12 new strawberry plants and it would be good to get some tips on what to do next, please!

I've got a mix of early, mid and late season varieties (Cambridge Favourite, Calypso, Symphony and Pegasus). A couple have flowers already. Should I nip them off to give the plants a chance to settle in?

I remember having a strawberry patch in mum's garden when I was a nipper - did I imagine cutting out silver foil circles to place underneath the plants to help ripen the berries off?!

:D

ruffmesiter_69

New strawberry patch
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007, 12:57 »
what kind of advise are you after, let them flower, you wont get much fruit this year but when the runners come out then the number of plants you have will mulitply, give them a good straw mulch and cover them so the birds dont get at them and sit back and enjoy

niclala

New strawberry patch
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2007, 17:46 »
Sounds good to me - especially the sit back and enjoy!

Thanks.  8)

always_mowing

strawbs
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2007, 18:41 »
Hi.

I don't think you imagined the circles of foil...unless i was in the same dream helping my granny do the same to hers...

please don't pinch out the flowers...you won't get many berries this year but it's not an annual and you will get plenty runners for next year.

Mulch with straw and enjoy. (fleece to cover them if you can)

Tom.

niclala

New strawberry patch
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2007, 22:29 »
Haven't got any straw yet, but glad to know I didn't dream the silver foil! I thought for years that I'd dreamt about my whole family (mum, dad, toddler sister, aunt, uncle and two cousins) wheeling two chest freezers through the town to our house. Found out to my shock last year that it wasn't a dream - it really happened!  :shock:

Sorry. I digress.  :oops:  I did buy some fleece today and will be tucking the new plants up in it all cosy like before the colder temps they've forecast tomorrow night.

Thanks for the strawberry tips. I've already got the Pimms on ice in anticipation. ;)

xx
Strawberry patch - what to do next

Started by lazza on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 06, 2011, 14:55
by gavinjconway
xx
New Strawberry Patch

Started by oldgrunge on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post January 03, 2017, 20:14
by Yorkie
xx
old strawberry patch

Started by coco on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 27, 2009, 15:37
by coco
xx
How did you plant your strawberry patch?

Started by green_fingered_ash on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 05, 2011, 10:00
by Weston grower

Page created in 0.296 seconds with 31 queries.