Coffee grounds

• 2 Replies

Zippy

Coffee grounds
« on: June 18, 2010, 14:07 »
I have found much on the internet about coffee grounds, about how places like Starbucks are only too pleased to get rid of the stuff and how gardeners are using it to good effect in compost piles, liquid feed and direct around plants as a slow release nitrogen source. Worms increase exponentially (in number not size!).

Our local Starbucks have a large tub with a sign saying “help yourself”.

I had always thought that coffee grounds could be too acidic in too high a volume and therefore toxic. Any thoughts? Does anyone else round up the coffee grounds from work and coffee shops and use it on their allotment?

hamstergbert

Re: Coffee grounds
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 14:34 »
Being fortunate enough not to live anywhere near a star-yucks, I save ours from home and office all the year round and use mostly round courgettes, lettuces and assorted salad leaf type thingies as a slug deterrent.  Have done so for a couple of years.

I am repeatedly assured that it doesnt work as a slug deterrent, so I must be continuing to use it for the worms or something and perhaps it is the extra worms that intimidate some of the slugs into staying away because I can tell the difference betwen coffee-dosed beds and non-coffee ones. 

Or perhaps it is simply some bizarre horticultural placebo....
The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

madcat

Re: Coffee grounds
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 15:32 »
OH collects them from work and I have used them this year as a base in the cold frames.  It is noticeable that we have had fewer slugs than in previous years when it was just weed suppressant fabric on the bottom, and those that do appear, travel around the sides rather than over the base.  The big slugs have completely left the cold frames alone .....

We also had slug damage on a few of the more tender courgettes - with centres being well chewed over night.  Surrounded with 6" of grounds they have recovered nicely and are off again.

I dont know if it is the texture or the caffiene or what it is, but they dont like it and the plants are loving the protection!   :D :D
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

xx
coffee grounds

Started by hanssg on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 19, 2017, 01:14
by simonwatson
xx
Coffee Grounds.

Started by Russell Atterbury on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 31, 2023, 14:31
by Omega
xx
Coffee grounds

Started by Dai on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 04, 2015, 14:11
by ptarmigan
xx
Coffee grounds?

Started by stompy on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post May 13, 2013, 20:36
by rowan57

Page created in 0.323 seconds with 38 queries.